As cinema-goers get excited about the latest Batman movie (looks good, doesn't it?), spare a thought for the mammalian creature that provides inspiration for Bruce Wayne's alter ego.

Sadly, bat numbers are on the slide and these furry masters of our night sky are in need of a little helping hand from all of us.

Pipistrellus pipistrellus in flight

But before we get onto how you can help them, how about spending some time this weekend getting to know them a little better?

Look to the skies!

To see bats, you generally don't have to venture too far from home. I've spend many a pleasant summer evening in my garden watching bats flit around above my head. They can also be spotted hanging around strong light sources, such as streetlamps, taking advantage of the bounty of moths that these features attract.

Most people will see pipistrelles, but there are 18 different bats to see in the UK.

If you can get your hands on a bat detector then this nifty bit of equipment can be used to listen in on the usually hidden world of high frequency calls bats use to 'picture' their surroundings. And as each bat has their own set of unique calls, you can tell them apart.

Bats also have distinctive flight paths that can be used to tell them apart. Check out this handy guide (opens as a PDF) from the Bat Conservation Trust to learn more.

Holy bats in decline, Batman!

UK bat populations have declined dramatically during the past century. The reasons are many and varied, but include the destruction of roosting sites and feeding grounds to make way for buildings and roads.

But by doing our little bit, we can help. So here's my top tips to help bats

• plants - pale, night-scented flowers that attract nocturnal insects - and ponds both attract insects that bats like to munch on
  • putting up bat boxes provide much-needed extra roosts
  • while dead/hollow wood can also provide great roosting sites
  • compost heaps and log piles encourage insects that bats enjoy eating
  • hedgerows and trees act as corridors along which bats can get from roost to feeding grounds. Larger hedges also provide shelter.

Whether you manage to get out this weekend, or save a performance from the masters of the night sky for another evening, don't forget to let our friends at the Bat Conservation Trust know when you spot a bat by putting your sightings on their Big Bat Map.

Happy bat-hunting!

Get all the latest news fromYnys-hir - the home of BBC Springwatch 2011!

Parents
  • As a teenager I used to watch the bats in my parents' garden, and listen to their calls.  I'm a pensioner now, and never see or hear any bats where I live, though it seems an ideal situation for them. I believe their calls may now be outside my hearing range. I have a row of oak trees behind my garden, and a designated wildlife park area just a few doors away from me, with a pond. I have a pond too, - and I know I have insects because several of them bit me while I was out there this week! I think perhaps the bats are happy in the wildlife park, and see no need to venture out to nearby gardens, but I shall buy some night scented plants in case I can tempt them over.

Comment
  • As a teenager I used to watch the bats in my parents' garden, and listen to their calls.  I'm a pensioner now, and never see or hear any bats where I live, though it seems an ideal situation for them. I believe their calls may now be outside my hearing range. I have a row of oak trees behind my garden, and a designated wildlife park area just a few doors away from me, with a pond. I have a pond too, - and I know I have insects because several of them bit me while I was out there this week! I think perhaps the bats are happy in the wildlife park, and see no need to venture out to nearby gardens, but I shall buy some night scented plants in case I can tempt them over.

Children
No Data