Are you ready for Big Garden Birdwatch 2010? You can do your hour-long count this Saturday or Sunday (30-31 January), so there's not long to go now!

While it's important to remember that the Birdwatch isn't a competition - indeed, even if you see nothing we still want to hear about it! - it's nice to have some birds to watch. Otherwise the hour can drag a little.

You'll probably have some food out to encourage the birds to show their faces. But what's the best thing to offer? Where to put it? And how can you make sure the hour is fun for everyone involved? I've been quizzing my Web Team colleagues to see what they suggest.

Robin on fat balls.What does Web Editor Mark recommend? Location, location, location is critical, he says:

'Put your food in the right place. If you have a small garden like me, then there will be a lot fewer birds if I put the food near the fence where people are coming and going all the time. Not so good for Big Garden Birdwatch!

'You can have the best food and feeders in the world, but it must be in the right position.'

Wise words, Mr Ward.

Long-tailed tits.As Lucinda, Web Editor, points out, it's definitely a case of the more, the merrier when it comes to Big Garden Birdwatch:

'Surround yourself with people. Kids, grandparents, aunties, uncles. Anyone, really. With more eyes to spot the birds in your garden, and a chance to enjoy some relaxed time with your friends and family, you can't go wrong.

'Just make sure you have enough nibbles - for people and birds - to go round!'

I'll second that. And if you can find a willing person to keep you fuelled with cups of tea and biscuits while you do the counting, so much the better...

Bacon sandwich photo by Blantonious1

Kevin, the RSPB's Web Editorial Assistant, has been doing the Big Garden Birdwatch for years. But for 2010, he's bringing out the big guns:

'This year, the RSPB's buggy nibbles are the special tactic, hopefully drawing in some of Potton's resident, roosting pied wagtails. We've got more food out this year, so we'll see if we can get some more birds, maybe even one of the goldfinches which has been about.

'Apart from that, I'll be sitting watching with my bacon sarnie, with Sky Sports News on in the background probably.'

Kevin... you're supposed to be feeding the birds and looking out of the window, not at the telly!

But good work with the wagtails - it can be tricky to find a food that insect-eating birds will go for.

Jo's cat, Oscar (bottom), and friendJo (who works on the RSPB's award-winning Intranet) is going to adopt a different strategy:

'Me and my cat, Oscar, will be safely counting the birds through my dining room window!'

That sounds like a very good plan indeed...

As for me, I intend to do my Birdwatch fairly early on Saturday. The birds will be busy filling their faces to recover from what's forecast to be a cold night.

I'll probably go and top up the feeders as soon as I get up, and make sure everything's set for when I'm ready to start counting. By putting the food out early, I'll hopefully minimise the disturbance I cause, meaning plenty of birds will be busy feeding when I start.

A pair of binoculars can be handy for looking for birds in the corners of the garden, but they're certainly not essential. In past years, I've found that using them all the time means I don't spot all the birds scattered around. So I'd suggest a good look around the whole of the garden every so often.

Food-wise, I'll be sticking with some tried and trusted favourites: a bowl of cornflakes and a cup of tea.

Jackdaw. Photo by Katie Fuller

Er, that's for me. The birds? They'll be getting black sunflower seeds, a fat cake thingy (very popular at the moment), some mixed seed, a scattering of porridge oats, perhaps a couple of apples and some water. I'm hoping that I'll see a great spotted woodpecker (which will make four years on the trot), a marsh tit or two (they usually avoid the garden during BGBW) and some house sparrows and starlings would be nice.

I can't wait!

What will you do?

Please leave a comment and tell us about your tips for attracting birds and enjoying Big Garden Birdwatch. Will it be your favourite robin, some special treats for the birds, Custard Creams or your favourite comfy armchair that make it a good one for you? 

Parents
  • Some great tips!

Here I'll make sure the 4 feeders (20 feeding ports) are are full to get all the House Sparrows out in force, Sultanas for the Blackbirds and just generally plenty of goodies and hope for the best.  The Sparrowhawk has been here 3 saturdays in a row so she may make the list this year!

Comment
  • Some great tips!

Here I'll make sure the 4 feeders (20 feeding ports) are are full to get all the House Sparrows out in force, Sultanas for the Blackbirds and just generally plenty of goodies and hope for the best.  The Sparrowhawk has been here 3 saturdays in a row so she may make the list this year!

Children
No Data