Bird image, taken from Google Street View.Previously Katie has mentioned how you can see some of our wonderful reserves on Google Street View. But what about actual wildlife?

Well, my colleague Paul mysteriously beckoned me over to his desk this morning. Thinking that he was just going to ask me about the latest footy gossip, I wandered over. Now, it turns out he didn't want to discuss his beloved Sheffield Wednesday's chances this season, he was actually looking on Google Street View for somewhere to buy horse manure for his garden! (I'm sure there's a joke there!).

I wasn’t able to help with that, unfortunately, it’s not really my speciality. However he then asked me what the bird flying up out of the hedge was. Nature on street view! After a bit of scrolling up and down the road, we finally identified it. We found it surprisingly difficult, and took us several goes. But we got there!

So, this is our challenge to any eagle-eyed readers out there. Firstly, take a look at our bird and see if you can identify it. You might have to scroll up and down the road like us, to get a better view. Secondly, have you seen any other wildlife on Google Maps or Street view? If you have, leave us a comment, and post a link to it if you can to share it with us. When my boss allows, I'm going to have a trawl through, but we’d love to see what’s out there, wherever it is. Let’s see what we can find…

Oh, and Paul found somewhere to buy his manure from, so his garden will no doubt be a riot of colour next year!

For more on our science, check out the RSPB Centre for Conservation Science web pages.

Parents
  • I would never have got it but I can see the second bird by the telegraph pole is definitely a male pheasant, thanks for mentioning that seymour. I have wasted far too much time on this :-))...but it was good fun, thanks.

Kind regards Jane.

Comment
  • I would never have got it but I can see the second bird by the telegraph pole is definitely a male pheasant, thanks for mentioning that seymour. I have wasted far too much time on this :-))...but it was good fun, thanks.

Kind regards Jane.

Children
No Data