Sparrows. Everywhere, aren't they?

They've come out on top in the Big Garden Birdwatch results again, and the ones in my new garden appear to be doing their best to keep their species top of the charts!

I've just moved house and one of the first things I've done is give it a little clean and freshen up. The sparrows that frequent the garden, feeders and surrounding areas are doing the same.

I've watched them all weekend carrying grass, feathers and twigs around - it's more interesting than cleaning, after all! They're clearly building a cosy nest ready for raising this years chicks.

And the spring weather has clearly spurred some of the other birds on too. This morning I spied the local starlings doing the same, obviously not wanting to be left behind! I imagine the chaffinches and blackbirds won't be far behind.

Have you seen any birds getting ready to nest this spring?

House sparrow carrying nest material (Image by Mike Lane (www.rspb-images.com)

This house sparrow carrying nesting material was snapped by Mike Lane and is one of thousands from RSPB Images, our online photo library. Take a look and fill yourself with the joys of spring!

For more on our science, check out the RSPB Centre for Conservation Science web pages.

Parents
  • I wish I would see sparrows! I love my blue tits, but they have colonised 2/3 of 2 sparrows colonies, a tit box, and a starling box! They have also scared away some coal tits by pecking all the bark away from the entrance to a nest box, and I have just observed some "wing manoeuvres" from the dominant one (another tit had been building in the same house, and now the alpha one is bringing in pieces of moss that are almost his own size. He is not always successful when it comes to flying in, however...)

Comment
  • I wish I would see sparrows! I love my blue tits, but they have colonised 2/3 of 2 sparrows colonies, a tit box, and a starling box! They have also scared away some coal tits by pecking all the bark away from the entrance to a nest box, and I have just observed some "wing manoeuvres" from the dominant one (another tit had been building in the same house, and now the alpha one is bringing in pieces of moss that are almost his own size. He is not always successful when it comes to flying in, however...)

Children
No Data