I've been holding off writing, hoping to give some news on Frisa and Skye - like where they're going to nest this year. Not too much to ask by early March you'd think. But a combination of dreadful weather and the birds going AWOL means that we still have no definitive news. There have been occasional sightings but the wet and cold seems to have cooled their nesting instincts for now. Oh well, plenty of time yet...

As you'll see from the map, the latest satellite data shows Mara and Breagha still with us here on Mull. This weather will be taking its toll on deer and sheep at this time of year and there may well be carcases in the hills which are keeping them here for now.

This year on Mull from 9th -15th May we will be celebrating our Homecoming Wild Isles Festival with a Wildlife Week packed with events, film shows, walks and boat cruises. Check out the 'Wild Isles Website' for details of what's happening where and when and then the 'Holiday Mull & Iona Website' for where to stay. Many local organisations and tour operators contribute to this week which has now evolved into a major celebration of all the natural wonders Mull & Iona have to offer. RSPB will be doing its bit with a corncrake walk on Iona, boat cruises to watch eagles, whales and seabirds, a film show, guided walks and of course we'll be at the Loch Frisa Eagle Hide every day. Why not come and join us? If you can't make that week, there's another 51 weeks in the year to choose from! This year the Eagle Hide plans to open on 6 April with guided visits with a ranger to watch, we hope, Frisa and Skye and offspring at their nest - wherever that will be!  The booking line will start taking bookings on 16 March on 01688 302 038. We hope to see you there. Meanwhile, as soon as I have news on Frisa and Skye, you'll be the first to know.

Dave Sexton RSPB Scotland Mull Officer

Dave Sexton, RSPB Scotland Mull Officer

• I echo what WeeJeannie said, coming in May sounds such fun! Wish we could come then but daughter's A levels will prevent it. Don't blame Mara and Breagha for staying around Mull if there's food going begging, and they're safe there - unlike the mainland. As for the nest building, there's another cold spell so perhaps Frisa and Skye are just putting things off, or maybe they're just trying to wind you up a bit :)

Everybody rides on the karma train.

• Secondly, Huw Irranca-Davies also says that his Department at DEFRA is considering pursuing an Order to make possession of pesticides containing certain ingredients an offence, if such an Order will indeed protect wild birds or animals from harm. If they decide to go ahead, there will be a public consultation to which we can all contribute. I would imagine that the more people who contact their MP, or this Minister, about this, the sooner the better! (If I can do it, you can do it, believe me!!! My family is a little amazed….). The Minister goes on to give much more information on WIIS and CAIP, bodies which investigate animal deaths and poisoning. CAIP is developing a training course for farmers and gamekeepers (sorry, but I can’t help but wonder if such, er, people as certain estate-owners / investment bankers of Angus are likely to sign up to learn how not to commit acts of barbarism!). The Minister ends by saying that he believes that overall the policies in place to conserve these species are working, but that the tiny minority of people who are indeed prepared to kill birds of prey should be brought to justice. Well, Dave, do we give him a cheer or not?? I’m certainly grateful to my MP (Labour) for pursuing this, when she could just have washed her hands of it as being nothing to do with her. Does anyone perhaps feel like asking an MEP to support Westminster in this, particularly on cross-compliance and also pesticides? Chris Davies, MEP (Lib Dem), is particularly interested and is likely to take action if he hears from more of us. On his stance against poisons, see http://www.winwithchris.org.uk/news/2009/Jan/mep_backs_new_eu_pesticide_controls.htm NB I BELONG TO NO POLITICAL PARTY MYSELF AND HAVE NO OTHER VESTED INTEREST.
  • PLEASE EXCUSE THE LENGTH OF THIS. I have been putting off this turgid resumé of the VERY long letter written to me concerning the use of poisons, by a Government Minister (Huw Irranca-Davies), received via my MP. Dave, I’m sure, will know all that he says – so, please correct me if I go wrong. In brief (I’ll split this into two separate messages, with lots of brackets to help clarify – I HOPE!). Firstly, he details Westminster’s stance regarding cross-compliance (by ‘cross-compliance,’ EU farmers have to maintain land in good agricultural and environmental condition in order to obtain financial subsidies). Protection of wild birds, eggs and nests is currently subject to cross-compliance rules. Amongst other things, a scheduled review by the EU is removing ‘non-selective’ (= indiscriminate?) means of their hunting, capture or killing. His Department in DEFRA wants to retain the non-selective element in order to deal with cases of illegal poisoning, in addition to those of ‘selective’ (specifically deliberate) killing. It is not a view held by other member states or the European Commission. So it looks like we should cheer Westminster on in this?! (NB The ‘non-selective’ killings will remain criminal offences, but large land-owners will be less deterred from scattering poisons 'non-selectively' in future, if they are to suffer no EU sanctions for doing so.)
  • Good to hear how the eagles are doing. I hope to get back up to Mull again this spring (but I hope the weather is better by then!)

www.quantumtiger.org

• Hi Dave good to hear the news even if not much to report.Probably it will all happen quickly when it does.At least lets hope Skye and Frisa nest at Loch Frisa.We went to Lodmoor part of Weymouth RSPB on Sunday and had really good views of two Spoonbill and a first Marsh Harrier but seems a bit tame compared to i think his name is Richard in Japan.Best wishes hope for good news soon.