A warm welcome to any new visitors to this Blog who have just dipped their toe in after watching 'Autumnwatch' this week. Tonight's your first night without Bill, Kate, Simon and Gordon! How will you cope? Well hopefully you'll enjoy catching up with our wonderful white-tailed sea eagles here on the Isle of Mull and perhaps have a glance back through some of the archive Blogs from the last few months to get an idea of what goes on here.

But first things first - an update on last night's report on the possible accident involving a sea eagle on the main road into Tobermory (see 'A worrying time' from yesterday). Whilst I can't yet give any absolute definitive news as no new satellite data has been received, I do feel more confident that what happened yesterday was a 'near miss' with an adult sea eagle and not with one of our two chicks from Loch Frisa, Mara and Breagha. The police have spoken to both drivers who reported the bird near the road and they are sure it had a white tail and a yellow beak. In other words, a full adult. That then would match the description of the sea eagles I saw shortly afterwards perched on the shoreline nearby. When one of them, a female, flew towards me yesterday I could see grey wing tags on both wings. The male had no visble tags. That description exactly matches the identity of the Territory 20 pair which have a glen in the centre of Mull as their core home range. Whilst the area I found them in yesterday seems to be way outside their normal territory, I can only assume that it is all part of their 'out of season' range where they wander at will. One of them maybe spotted the dead deer remains, the ravens and buzzards and came in for a closer look. It had a very near miss with a lorry and will hopefully never do it again. It's a bizarre, almost freak episode and one I never want to repeat. Today I spoke to Roy Dennis of the 'Highland Foundation for Wildlife' who helped us fit the satellite tags and he promises to send through the latest data for Mara and Breagha as soon as he receives it. And I'll pass it on to you. But tonight, I am more hopeful that they are both well and tonight have hopefully found a good, safe roost somewhere out there in these increasingly windy conditions on the west coast.

Later, as the low November sun appeared briefly through the rain showers and rainbows, I also confirmed that Frisa and Skye are fine. They were perched side by side, almost touching, in the larch trees - both wet through. Every few minutes, Skye threw his head back and called, immediately followed by Frisa's deeper answer. Just like the other pair who lost their chick this summer, Frisa and Skye are also already starting some early autumnnal courtship and reaffirming their special bond. Who knows, fairly soon, I may even see the first signs of their nest site selection - exciting times ahead!

If you want to watch any of the three 'Autumnwatch' Mull Eagle video diaries, you can at www.bbc.co.uk/autumnwatch/meettheanimals and click on 'Sea eagle'. If you want to see more of them in the future, why not make a comment on the 'Autumnwatch' Messageboard? Meanwhile as the crew leave Brownsea Island and Gordon's team head home from the Farnes, we're still here! Come rain or shine, 24/7, throughout the winter, I'm watching out for the sea eagles and keeping you posted on their adventures, past and present. I hope you'll join me here. Have a good weekend and I'll update you with any satellite news if we get it.

Dave Sexton RSPB Scotland Mull Officer

Dave Sexton, RSPB Scotland Mull Officer

• Hi Dave - thanks for the update - sounds like Breagha is really exploring Mull and all our smaller islands - perhaps she is looking for somewhere to settle! Den&ann re your question on midges - they come out roughly end of May and start easing off September but there are ways of living with them - its not as bad if you know where to go to avoid them - they love damp humid conditions so forestry wooded areas is heaven to them which is why you see Dave and Gordon fighting them off in their clips when they were tagging the chicks - the midges dont like a breeze or the wind so if you are near the coast its ok - there are lots of sprays and potions - the most favourite (that I understand is used by the British Army) is Skin So Soft by Avon - the blue bottle - also locals will swear by bog myrtle and can be seen with a spray in their hat or behind an ear! Dave - did you hear McFadden & Whitehead "aint no stopping us now" - Friday morning just before 9.00 news on Radio 2 - finished me off altogether having read your blog first thing!
  • Hi Dave, Thanks for the quick update and info...It really is appreciated. Gometra ???? I knew of Ulva but Gometra is a new one for me...sounds like a good question on Stephen Fry's 'IQ'....Alan would almost certainly say it is in the Greek Islands...so where does the name come from ??? I am not going to ask about Ulva :-) As a good RSPB warden I shall expect an answer....only joking...... I hope you are having a nice night in with the family and not rushing about Mull in the wind and rain fretting about the wildlife...They will be fine, just a little wet and battered...
  • Thanks for the news Dave-although we don't always respond, we are out here waiting with baited breath for your updates.

• Hi dave so nice to hear from you tonight especially that you appreciate our comments.I amsure that we really appreciate a busy person which you must be and with a family taking time to do it,many thanks.Question for wild freckle if she reads this.When do midges stop being troublesome in late summer or autumn.Best wishes
  • To Dave the fantastic one man band - you do very well Dave and we do appreciate your time honest so big big thank yous from me , I am sure we would all understand if for one night you didnt put a message on the blog - trouble is we all get withdrawal problems if you dont tell us a story and I for one have to take sleeping tablets , those 3 weeks you were away I was in and out of The Priory just couldnt cope at all !!!!!!!!!! xx goodness all these places to visit its definately got to be a long stay for sure , do they do cream teas ???. I am sure Mara and Breagha are fine and hopefully you will get an update tomorrow to set your mind at rest , have a lovely day tomorrow and take care .

Valerie