Well the latest news from Loch Frisa is that our eagles arent ready to give up their nest just yet!  Its actually 67 days today they have been sat on that nest - Everyday I drive up the track to check on them, half expecting to see an empty nest.  It nearly happened mid week. 

On Wednesday, Dave and I travelled to Iona to lead a Corncrake Walk.  It has been Wild Isles week on Mull with a whole variety of events taking place showcasing our wonderful wildlife.  We spent the day on Iona and were joined by a large group of people, keen to try and spot the elusive corncrake.  The day was beautiful and Iona sparkled - turquoise sea and white sand.  Well it was a huge tick for me - I have heard many corncrakes but never seen one but I happened to be standing in the right place at the right time - I was so excited at seeing my first corncrake I couldnt get the words out to say "there's one!"  Fortunately someone standing close by was able to say it for me and some of the other visitors managed to catch a glimpse before it disappeared into a bed of irises.  It was a great way to spend an afternoon and as we watched for the corncrakes to appear we were rewarded with sightings of twite, wheatear, snipe, shelduck, little auks and rock doves.   Halfway through the walk, I received a call saying that both adults were off the nest at Loch Frisa and that they have finally given up. 

Later that evening I drove up just to see for myself and sure enough, Frisa was sat on her favourite lochside tree and there was an empty nest.  I went home with a heavy heart and a tear or two - the end had finally come.  The next day I was back up to the hide for one of our trips, and just had a quick check to see where the birds where - what a surprise to see Frisa sat back on the nest - Skye was sat about 2 trees away keeping a watchful eye.  I didnt know whether to laugh or cry - she looked so comfortable in that nest and it is just part of her natural routine at the moment.  They will abandon the nest soon and of course we will keep you posted.   They are giving us some great displays with Skye trying to catch a fish at the head of the loch just in front of the hide - you certainly didnt need any binoculars to admire his white tail and huge wingspan.

Our buzzard is still incubating her two eggs - I calculate hatching will occur towards the end of the week - we will keep you posted.  The sand martins are now incubating too - our great spotted woodpecker has been delighting our visitors this week, enjoying the peanut feeder at the hide - the siskins are still around too as well as our redpoll, reed bunting and of course the warblers.

Dont forget to come and visit us - the meeting point will remain at the south end of Loch Frisa (Salen/Aros end).  To book a trip call our friends at Craignure Visitor Centre on 01680 812556 Mull Eagle Watch

Debby Thorne

White Tailed Eagle Information Officer, Mull

• I bet it was beautiful on Iona, enjoyed visiting there last summer although a bit nervous on the smaller ferry.

Very sad to read about Skye and Frisa still, they just don't know what to do with their time at the moment. Trying to keep positive now as the ospreys start to hatch and hoping weather stays good for their early few weeks. Glasyn has 2 chicks and Tweed valley 1 from the last few days.

Have your visitor numbers at the hide been similar to April and Mays last year? I do hope so as I know if I lived nearer than 12/13 hours away I would visit several times a year.

JILLIAN

• What a great trip to Iona, I do wish I had been there camera in hand!!!  Thank you for the udate Debby and I am sorry to hear about the Osprey, but there is always next year.  I am very much looking forward to my trip to the Isle of Mull around July time..... and hopefully getting to meet you then.  

• Looks like the end is near Debby. It will be interesting to see if they make the 70 days which I mentioned earlier in relation to the Ospreys at Rutland. At least the Iona trip gave you some joy.

• Thank-you Debbby. So sad to hear about Skye and Frisa, but I admire their dedication..onwards and upwards!!! Maybe next year!

Sounds like you had a wonderful day on Iona with sightings of birds I have only heard about. I hope the summer will be as exciting as your trip to Iona!!

• Thanks as always Debby. I still feel sad for them.

You make it come to life:)