• The longest day...continues

As I neared the cliff, the full force of the storm became clearer. There had been a rock fall as well and the entire ash tree which had once supported the nest had been torn from the cliff face, roots and all. As the chicks had plummeted earthwards at the height of the gale, they would have been followed by a deadly cascade of boulders, branches and mud. Out of breath and with sweat stinging my eyes, I clambered up the…

• The longest day

Even by west coast standards, it had been an unseasonally violent and stormy night. And it had been raining continuously for 24 hours before that. It was almost mid summer's day for goodness sake! Lying in bed and listening to the storm raging outside at 3am, your mind runs riot and there's nothing you can do about it. I knew there were big eagle chicks hunkered down flat in the nests all around Mull. They were too big…

• Fun in the sun

A brief update tonight: the family have shown well today at the hide. Both chicks again enjoying the dry sunny conditions and getting more expert by the day at controlling those massive wings. Breagha's wing will be close to 8 feet across and Mara's only a little less. Today they were sparring good naturedly high above the forest, touching talons and giving chase whilst Frisa and Skye sat contentedly on the ridge, drying…

• Close encounters

No great dramas today! Just a brief update that that our Loch Frisa duo are well and providing great views at the hide. Today the assembled visitors were treated to Mara & Breagha flying right over the hide as if coming to say 'what are you lot doing here every day?'.

They chased and twisted and turned through the air and looked like they'd been flying for years. Earlier a chick from a Mull nest in 2007 showed…