Happy New Year to everyone from Radipole Lake! 

Two notable events are happening at the end of January 2017. As you know the BBC's Autumnwatch was broadcast live from Arne in October 2016. The BBC will be back at Arne to film Winterwatch 2017.  The broadcast dates have now been confirmed as Monday 23 - Thurs 26 January, 8:00 pm on BBC 2. We will keep you up to date with the latest news.

Just after Winterwatch, it will be the this year's Great Garden Birdwatch which will take place from Friday 28 to Monday 30 January. Further information is available on the Great Garden Birdwatch website: https://ww2.rspb.org.uk/get-involved/activities/birdwatch/  where you can download a free pack and find out more about last year's Great Garden Birdwatch.

The Robin is the theme of the Great Garden Birdwatch this year and was voted the UK's favourite bird. I saw several around our reserve this morning. One Robin was so curious that he watched me for some time and even patiently waited for me to get my camera out before posing for me. There are currently large numbers of Teal at Radipole as well as Gadwall, Shoveler, Reed Buntings, Mediterranean and Common Gulls

Robin

Other sightings over the past few days include the Marsh Harriers, both male and female, bitterns and groups of 20 to 30 Bearded Tits. Otters have also been seen several times from the Discovery Centre during the day time.

For further information about the Great Garden Birdwatch and Winterwatch as well as the latest sightings, contact Radipole Lake Discovery Centre, details below or pop in and see us. Hot and cold refreshments, sandwiches and snacks available.

Telephone: 01305 778313

E-mailWeymouth.reserves@rspb.org.uk

Websitewww.rspb.org.uk/radipolelake