Where has our community gone!

Hi group members,

long time no hear!  way back in the spring our community pages were coming to life with lots of shiny new members like Ponty Cyclops and Bill Oddie's Beard all chirping away. Then came the changes to our pages and we all went quiet - probably like me, scratching your heads and wondering how to work the damn thing again...

So now we've got used to the look of it and I'm hoping you'll all migrate our way again - or are you all in moult?? Sulking in the bushes?  I'd like to hear where you've been this summer and what you've seen ( with or without feathers!!). In particular, If you've seen something really good you think we should include on Wallasea - it would help me in my plans for the public facilities!

Hoping you'll all come flocking back now Autumn is on its way....

cheers

H

I've gone wild on Wallasea!

• I don't know about the others but I'm one of the ones that's been skulking in bushes! I tried to explain to the Police that I was in moult in preperation for my migration but they weren't having any of it!! :( Seen loads of things I'd like to see on Wallasea - A visitor centre, some hides, toilets, A Bar, 3 metres of London clay, Another Bar and a Cafe selling Organic Bacon butties!! Hmmmm. I'd also like to see some Meerkats!! :) I like Meerkats.

Growing up, my Mum always claimed to feel bad when a bird would slam head-first into our living room window. If she "really" felt bad, though, she'd have moved the bird feeder outside.

• Thanks BOB - keep taking the tablets....  :)  H

• Hilary,  Don't panic, we haven't forgotten you.  Its been a busy summer,  My family attended a new visitor centre opening, surounded by inland water (Essex) ssshhhh you know who MS opened it.  Been up to Rutland to see Ospreys and then the Bird Fair,  visited a new Thameside visitor centre sssshhh you know who.  The wife and I are running out of sandwichs plus the diesel keeps disappearing. Your on our list.

Highlight of summer so far:  yellowhammer on fence at dusk (Rutland), a beautiful experience, and ospreys fishing,  bad experience: pike taking a baby tufted duck, mum taking three remaining babies to safety, and crested grebe looking for the pike.

See you soon,

Neighbourhood Jim

• Thanks Jim, nice to know you've been exploring and having a good time.  Yellow hammers and ospreys - lovely!  WE can offer you yellow wagtails and corn buntings - and the harriers are just coming back again. :)

Sorry no visitor centre yet awhile, but keep coming and bring your pals and that will give us a case for one...

cheers

H

• You're right Hillary, it has been a little quiet hasn't it! I've been to Japan this summer! Don't really think that there's much over there that you could include on Wallasea! Especially the birds of prey, it was wall-to-wall Mountain Hawk Eagles over there! I saw a Kingfisher, have you got any Kings on Wallasea?

See you all soon,

HK.

• wow - lucky you!  We do have a wealth of birds of prey here at wallasea, but no Mountain Hawk Eagles alas. :( We dio get a kingfisher every Winter down at the sluice near the car park - everyone but me seems to have seen it.....

Look out for the BoPs round the farm bird zone to the west end of our site, by the white gate at the end of the old road. Last Winter that was a real hot spot!

H :)

• I'll certainly be over there sooner or later, i hope to see your Christmas King! lol

• Hope you have more luck than me with our little elusive friend!

h

• Hi Hilary,

The wife and I are constantly spreading the word wherever we go, to name a few:  Rye Meads (kingfishers) Rainham Marshes: hobby and kestrels, Thameside: Curlews, Godwits, Two Tree Island:  200 oystercatchers.  Hilary you must update your sightings page, ducks in June is good but.......  

What about a BBQ? and some sentry boxes in the car park (W/Cs).  Just keep blogging, we love wildlife and birds.

• Please, no BBQ's. It will bring the dog walkers!