The Birds of Wallasea Island

Ok, just for fun and to assist the Ornithologically challenged among us like myself and hopefully to encourage those who think you have to be a serious birder to enjoy birds let's start a quick reference thread for all the birds that have been sighted on the island or on the surrounding rivers, as a rule lets only submit photo's taken on the island, it doesn't matter how good or bad they are, i'll get the ball rolling, please feel free to add your own photo's, and don't forget to add tags so that we can attract more people to our site!!

BOB 

The Greylag Goose what a proud looking bird!! Came across it just sitting under the sea wall.

And a Male and Female Mallard in the borrow dyke.

A Male Reed Bunting, it's main recognition feature is the broad white band around the back of the neck.

Red-Breasted Mergansers (Thanks for the info WB) beautiful wintering visitors, a joy to watch as the boys (the colourful ones on the left and right) bob their heads to woo the plainer coloured ladies (centre in this photo).

• Lovely Shot BOB - let's hope some of our group join in your fun soon!!

H

• Like the shot BOB, really good capture and perfect timing! The bit that really impresses me though is the time travel. Next time you leap forward a month could you remember to bring back some news on the financial markets - then I can spend a lot longer enjoying our wonderful island :0)

• Ooooops, thanks for pointing that out to me! Now my secret is out I can exclusively reveal that matress sales next month go through the roof as people look for an alternative to the banks, so if you're looking to invest that's where the smart money is!! And seeing as my secret is out I can also reveal that I have been secretly skipping to and fro between now and 2019 and can reveal that the ground work is complete, on schedule and to budget, the Spoonbills and the Great Egrets have bred succesfully for the second succesive year and the web cam will be operational in two weeks time!! woohoo!! (OK I lied about the webcam)

• Well, seeing as we've been quiet lately, thought i'd add a bird or two to our jolly wee forum, now the first one up is a Sandpiper, I'm fairly sure it's a Common Sandpiper but unfortunately it didn't take off and deliberately breaking cover and scaring it witless just to see whether it had the unmistakeable white patch of the Green Sandpiper would just be considered bad sport. If someone could let me know for sure that would be great!!

• How appropriate is it that as things seem to be moving along with this fantastic project that such an iconic species as the Avocet, so important to the RSPB should choose Wallasea to nest and bring up her brood.

The proud mum who has done so well to bring up her brood.

Sorry, but it's got to be done - Avocet Juvenile No 1

Avocet Juvenile No 2

And finally Juvenile No 3, all together now - Ahhhhhhhh

• Hi All,

Visited Wallasea Last Saturday.  Explored, the sea wall and mudflats, headed towards construction site.  Saw my first ever Whimbrels, four feeding along the tidal mark and marsh.  Oyster Catrchers 2 pair, black headed gulls a plenty, a few black tailed godwits.

Below the sea wall plenty of elusive brown birds.  The wife likes them. Back to car park to have lunch in car, male and female linnets on fence for many minutes,  then the yellow wagtail, all in wonderful condition.  Watched a Kestrel perform.  

A cold wet but good day out.  Well Done RSPB, You need some Toilets for the girls.

Jim

• Thanks Jim,

glad you had a good day out - hope you'll be back for more as the weather improves!  Had some scottish visitors out on site today and we spotted Wheatear as well as the birds you mentioned.

You may go on past the construction area if you want - for a further mile or so to the northeastern corner if it's a nice day and you'd see more at t'other end.

Sorry about the lack of facilities so far, nearest place for food and loos is the Marina Cafe bar , which you'll have passed just before entering  Grapnell's Farm.

cheers

Hilary