Firstly, let me introduce myself, my name is Simon and I am the new Conservation Intern at Titchwell and I look forward to getting to know the ins and outs of this wonderful reserve and sharing the goings-on with you 

Recent sightings 

It has been another packed week of wildlife sightings on the reserve this week. As Spring continues to arrive we are starting to see a change on the reserve. A max count of 87 Mediterranean Gulls and 160 Avocet were on the Fresh marsh. Black Tails Godwits are returning which has included one which ringed on the Humber.  

We also had a few sightings of 4 Cranes flying over the site throughout the week. There was an unusual sighting of a Ring-Necked Parakeet one morning and excitingly a Bittern was heard booming on the reserve on Sunday evening. Let's hope it remains on site and attracts a female.  

Mediterranean gull. Phill Gwilliam 

Wardens Wanderings 

As it was my first week much of it was spent on induction, meeting the team and starting to learn more about the reserves and familiarising myself with the regular tasks.  

Thankfully the winds are finally starting to die down this week, not that it felt like it when we were putting the annual beach cordon up at Snettisham. The cordon is to help keep any unsuspecting beachgoers off the potential nesting sites for the ringed plover. We have put the cordon up earlier this year than we had previously to help limit the amount of disturbance to the nesting birds and aid their breeding season. Whilst here we also spent some time cutting back vegetation along the paths and seeing the progression of the new hide, Knots Landing. 

The reserve team also attended a conference on beach nesting birds, along with many other teams (not just RSPB) from all along the East Anglian coastline. At the conference we heard from a number of reserves informing us of their successes and issues they may of faced. We also had several guest speakers discussing topics ranging from ways to limit predation to a study into the changing ecology of a reserve over 20 years. This also gave the various organisations that attended a chance to discuss ways to work together to help manage the coastline for the vulnerable birds that nest along it.