Hello!

Belinda here, I am a new residential volunteer at Titchwell until Christmas and I have just completed my first two weeks at the reserve. I am currently on a placement year as part of my degree in environmental conservation at Bangor University and just returned from doing my second year of study in Norway. I am very much looking forward to getting stuck into the conservation work which is carried out at Titchwell and by doing so gain some invaluable practical skills.

My first weeks volunteering have been very busy. Myself and the reserve team have been hard at work cutting and raking the remaining vegetation that borders the Freshmarsh in preparation for the soon to be implemented rise in water level. The cutting will reduce reed encroachment and enhance the views for the visitors enabling closer observation of the waders on the marsh. Thanks to Chris, Trevor and Les for helping out with some raking. 

We have also started much needed maintenance on the predator fence which encompasses one of the islands on Freshmarsh and this has involved adding additional chicken wire to the bottom of the fence to prevent foxes, otters and other predators to enter the area- this ended up being a very muddy job…..

Whilst I have been here we have also had a visit from one of the reserve ecologists to look at the winter works for the reed bed and discuss the freshwater habitats project.

Other smaller jobs have been carried out such as bench replacements, hide cleaning and sign construction. Three new signs have been placed by Freshwater, Volunteer and Tidal marsh indicating to the visitors why there are varying water levels across the reserve.

Snettisham

Since starting here I have also been able to visit Snettisham and last Saturday (10th) was the first wild goose chase event of the year at the reserve. This was a spectacular start to the weekend despite the early wake up. We were treated to approximately 15,000 pink-footed geese passing overhead after roosting there overnight and a large murmuration of Knots across The Wash as well as seeing a huge array of other waders.

There are several more guided goose walks to take place at Snettisham before the end of the year so please make sure to book onto one if you are keen.

The next week sets to be another busy one at Titchwell with the remainder of the predator fence maintenance to be completed as well as the opening of the sluices to allow the water level to rise on Freshmarsh. There will also be the Titchwell festive fun event on Saturday 24th and Sunday 25th November (9am-4pm) where there are various activities to get involved with such as penguin racing, raffle, binocular and telescope demonstration to name just a few…Raffle prizes include a guided reserve walk with the warden. Please do pop by and get involved!

That’s all for now but if you see me around reserve please do come and say hello!

Belinda