Hello all!

As I sit writing this post, with a view over the rippling marram grass and colourful mosaic of shingle at Snettisham beach, the atmosphere is full of hope and promise as the world wakes up from the cold days of winter. There is a calmness in the early spring sunshine, but in a few short weeks this same scene will be bursting with energy and drama as the creatures that call this place home rush to raise their families before the days close in once again.

Before this year’s breeding season gets into full swing, I’d like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. As of the beginning of March, I have joined the RSPB team here in North West Norfolk as Seasonal Field Officer, to support the exciting work of the Plovers in Peril project that was launched last year. We are lucky that this area of coastline is home to a nationally important breeding population of ringed plover. These plucky little birds have huge characters, and what they lack in size, they make up for in bucket-loads of personality. However, their numbers have unfortunately seen sharp declines over recent decades, and it is now more important than ever to give them the best possible chance of rearing their chicks safely.

Image credit: Ben ArthurMy background is in marine science, and from this, I have developed a fascination with the coastal environment. It can be dynamic and extreme like no other, yet also tranquil and full of beauty, and the creatures that live there are amongst the most ingenious and resilient on the planet. This fascination led me to a postgraduate degree in marine ecosystems, and last year I had the opportunity to undertake a research project to explore the impact that human activity is having on the breeding success of ringed plovers. It was then, on the rugged shores of Northumberland, that I completely fell in admiration of these courageous little shorebirds and I hope to be able to use what I learned there to help Wynona and the wonderful team of Plovers in Peril volunteers to protect this important breeding site.  will see me out and about on the stretch of coastline between Snettisham and Heacham for much of the season where we will be monitoring the success of the birds, so, if you see me while out enjoying the beach or walking your dog, do come over and have a chat! I’m looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible and answering any questions you may have about the Plovers in Peril project.

It may be early days yet, but we are already seeing our ringed plover pairs returning to establish their breeding territories. They have been arguing amongst themselves and skirmishing with their neighbours over access to the most desirable breeding locations, so that their chicks will have the best possible chance of growing up strong and safe. Seeing these initial steps on this year’s path towards hopefully fledging the next generation, I am filled with anticipation for the months ahead. Hectic at times I’m sure, as the challenges of working with wild animals keeps us on our toes, but incredibly rewarding and I feel privileged to be part of the team this year.

Ben Arthur

Seasonal Field Officer – Plovers in Peril

Please think about supporting us with our work for Plovers in Peril.

Image Credit: Phill Gwilliam

Come and say hello to us if you see us whilst out and about on Snettisham beach! We look forward to chatting with lots of you and getting to know what this place and its special wildlife means to you.

You can help these birds have a successful year and ensure they return to nest here for years to come. Help us protect beach nesting birds by:

• Following requests on signage
  • Keeping dogs on leads
  • Keeping your distance from fenced areas

Volunteer with us:

Want to play a vital role in protecting some amazing species? We are looking for volunteer beach rangers to help protect, monitor and spread the word about vulnerable beach nesting birds which breed on the sand and shingle beaches between Snettisham and Heacham in Norfolk. Click here to apply or to find out more.

Follow us on our journey to protect these amazing birds at Snettisham. Join in the conversation on our Facebook and Twitter pages, share your stories and photos and help us speak out about how we can help vulnerable beach nesting species like the Ringed Plover.

Tag us: #PloversinPeril #RSPBSnettisham

Got a question or want to get in touch? Chat to us and have your say about the protection of these birds – your voice matters! Email Wynona.Legg@rspb.org.uk. We would love to hear from you!