Thinking of visiting!

Hi everyone, have never visited the official rspb site before so not sure if im meant to be in the group or not, but had to be to post this :P

Me and my mum are considering a 2 day visit in the summer, and i have a few questions if anyone would be kind enough to offer their experience :)

It will probably be late July - is this a good time to visit, bird wise? We would like to see some birds we dont get to see here in Leicestershire and want the trip to be as good as we can time it. Any ideas on what we might see?

Also was thinking about accomodation - is there anywhere close and cheap to the site? Any reccomendations for two would be great thanks!

Thanks
JP Hawky 

• Hi JP,

Late July is post-breeding season so can be a little bit quiet on the birding front really!  You should see marsh harriers feeding their young, bitterns on feeding flights at Strumpshaw and a selection of waders such as avocets and lapwing at our neighbouring reserves, Buckenham and Cantley.  However, Strumpshaw Fen is beautiful at that time of year, with orchids and other wild flowers carpeting the meadow, the fen looking fantastic and lots of bearded tits and warblers keeping quiet but busy in the reedbeds.  

There will also be lots of butterflies about and if you're lucky, there will be a second brood of swallowtail butterflies on the wing, a real treat!

Depending on your schedule for your visit, the coast is a good place to visit at that time of year, with lots of migrant waders coming back to the country, such as rough, black tailed godwits and dunlin.  Also you often see a seal or two popping their heads out of the water in areas like Waxham and Winterton to have a look at the people and dogs on the beach!

If you would like to email us at strumpshaw@rspb.org.uk I can send you a list of local places to stay and eat.

Cheers,

Lotte

• Well, if we needed any convincing, you've done the job! Thanks so much for such a detailed and quick response :) We have talked about it and we're definitely planning at least a 2-3 day stay in july. I go to sixth form and my mums a teacher, so we share the same summer holiday which is why we were planning it then :) We would have picked a 'better' time for birds but unfortunately our dates dont match up other than the summer! But hopefully this will not be our only visit to the broads. We're familiar with norwich and great yarmouth areas, so sort of know our way around a little bit. We were thinking two days in the broads, one on the coast.

Regardless, thanks a lot for your information and advice! Can I email you a little closer to the time ? We'd love to know places to stay and eat from someone who knows the area so well :)

Thanks so much! Hawky

• Yes, please feel free to contact us at any point for more information!  You'll have a lovely visit, Norfolk is fantastic no matter what time of year you visit!

• Hi Hawky

Strumpshaw is my local reserve, i love it, there is always something to see,  My avatar is a swallowtail butterfly taken there, i love watching the Marsh Harriers there doing their "sky dancing" & food passes, you will really enjoy a trip there.