Osprey

I visted Strumpshaw last week, whilst on holidays in North Norfolk.

Did anyone postively ID an Osprey there in the end, or was it just a female Marsh Harrier doing impressions? ;o)

Ant

• I'm no bird expert, but I think I saw one (and got some pics of it!)

But then I also heard some people call the light coloured male harrier an osprey ... 

I will stick a pic or two in the gallery.

• Yes, there was indeed an opsrey!  It's been moving around between Strumpshaw Fen and Rockland Broad and Surlingham Church Marsh over the other side of the river.  Has been over at Rockland this morning.

Jenny

• Glad to hear it was definately an Osprey. I have never seen one. What I thought was an Osprey when I was there was one of the Marsh Harriers. Not that I was disappointed, some of the views we got whilst in Norfolk was at Strumpshaw. There are a pair of Ospreys who follow the river Taff twice a year on their migration route, they sometimes stop off at a local fish farm, and the South Wales Sightings page says they were in the vicinity this week ... might have to go for a bit of a nature trek along the river banks next week! ;o)

Ant

• Greetings all.

I'm a regular at Strumpshaw. Hi Jen.

After 3 weeks plus a three hour wait in Tower Hide today (Sat29th Sept.2012) the Osprey finally came close enough for me to shoot.. err, snap? Anyway, got some reasonable shots. I think it may be female as it has a golden brown upper chest area.

What I want to know is, and cannot find any positive info about, is how to identify this ringed bird. It has what looks like three blue rings on the left leg and one thick gold band on the right leg (a married Osprey? ;-)

• Hi Alan

I just posted one as you were typing ;-) if you look on Photo's or searh for "Osprey, Strumpshaw" in pic's you'll see her!

• Thanks Alan; I could find no links, e-mail or info on Tags there!

As for link, yes, I don't mind as long as copyright is respected or noted.

Cheers

(Mike)

• I've just posted one of my Opsrey pic's so you can all have the chance to see it. It was a Scottish bird; blue ring on leeft leg; can't read numbers tho!