Learning bird calls - is it possible to start in adulthood?

I've only been 'learning my birds' for a few months now and its amazing how easy it is to learn here at Strumpshaw Fen when you're constantly surrounded by birds all day long.

Yesterday, I had a crash course in bird songs and calls.  This I found really difficult.  To my untrained ears, a robin, blackbird and blackcap all sound the same when they are singing in the trees.  But I know that, to the more experienced person, they sound distinctly different and are easy to seperate.

Does anyone have any tips for me as someone new to birdwatching (and listening) but very keen to learn?  I'm intrigued whether it is indeed possible to train my ears to the differences - or did I need to have started as a child to get the hang of it?

All ideas, opinions, stories and suggestions welcome!

Lotte

• I suspect I was a lot older before I really started to get the hang of bird calls. I found it easier to start with common birds in the garden, where there are not so many around.

I also invested in a tape of bird song; it's probably on DVD now.

• Yes I agree with Grandad.  Invest in a good CD with bird songs and call.  I attended ornithology classes and field trips through Norfolk County Council and found them really helpful at the time.  However I think the essential thing is to practice and practice. The more you can get out the better.  I havent been that far recently and Im finding by skills a bit rusty. Roll on my weeks hol when I can get back into the field.

Marcia