Over At Vange Marsh

What with limited time and the rising cost of petrol, I decided to make Vange Marsh my local patch for 2013. It helps that I can get from home to on site in ten minutes and that includes putting my boots on in the carpark! I've been sending my records to myself on Twitter and to the South East Essex RSPB list but thought that this forum is perhaps a more relevant place to put them. 

Now that the horse situation looks to be finally resolved and the levels of water have gone down on the paths, the reserve is looking good. I might be able to use alternative footwear instead of wellington boots next time! Migrants are now landing on site and resting so it's about time I shared my sightings.

So far I have seen 85 species on site, this year, not counting the Siberian Chiffchaff which the BOU regard as a sub-species of the Common Chiffchaff. This morning I was on site early and had my best visit so far this year. Highlights were Blackcap, Lesser Whitethroat, Cuckoo (displaying on the other side of Pitsea Creek), Bearded Tit, Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler,  Cetti's Warbler, Reed Bunting and finally, Jay.

Each time I visit the site, I'll post a report on my sighting and report on those species that other birders have spotted. Watch this space!

Terry

• An excellent find Terry and a really enjoyable read, thanks.

• Yes Terry well done great spot, your reports are now being looked at and i have been using them to help with our Wats About weekley news letter for a while now, as its good to have a local regular on site on so well done again.

• It was to be a later start today hoping that the rising tide would bring a surprise. I stepped on site, had a quick check for any damage and then checked in with mission control. I was greeted by the news that a Bluethroat had been spotted earlier at Wat Tyler. The dilemma, should I stay or should I go! I remembered that I had stood for three hours earlier in the month staring at a Norfolk bush waiting for a Bluethroat to pop up out of the grass so I stayed.

Over on the scrape, I saw a Green Sandpiper, five Avocet, two Oystercatcher and a Grey Heron but little else. Moving on towards the five-bar gate, I saw a juvenile Bearded Tit with its beak full of insects resting whilst Sedge and Reed Warblers were popping up all over the place.

Over on the brackish lagoon were nine Spotted Redshank, six Little Egret, over a score each of Shoveler and Gadwall, a pair of Shelduck and 18 Canada Goose including juveniles. Overhead were screaming Swift, House Martin and Swallow.

Up on the western end of the reserve, I saw another juvenile Bearded Tit and a parachuting training session for numerous Sedge Warblers. And then the heavens opened!

Back to the car as quick as I could arriving like a drowned rat!