Kingfishers

Have been to Rye Meads a couple of times recently. Great lot of work has been done in clearing etc, we and the wildlife will reap the benefits in Spring. Well done to staff and volunteers! Of course, I had a look at the Kingfisher pond. The adult female was showing well but not that often. Come end of February into March, she will be pairing up/nest preparation. I did notice that the perches have not been changed, I know there was some talk of this being done. The fence posts are not very natural and the willow branches put in last Winter of course have rooted and grow! The positioning was not too good. Proper dead branches, well sited would enhance the Kingfisher experience on both sides - human and bird. A bit of tree trimming would be ideal too. Maybe a question of resources but... I'm sure some of us would be willing to help. I am a Rspb volunteer myself but not at Rye Meads. Dare I also raise the question of the other nest bank, which was never finished and is falling into disrepair. The new hide is still packed up. Once again, is it resources? I know there have been discussions on a new hide/revamped old one at the Kingfisher pond. We will be getting to the point where nothing can be done, because the Kingfishers will be nesting etc. Just raising a few questions out of concern for the Kingfishers and the public viewing of what is probably perceived as the star attraction of Rye Meads. (I know there are other great wildlife too!) Hope they have another great year and maybe another nest site.
  • Gents, there have been no personal attacks in this thread. I apologise if my comments have been misinterpreted. My "a**e out of the grass" comment was ill-worded and unnecessary.

Trust me, you don't know who I am. I'm just an occasional visitor to Rye Meads who happened to stumble across this thread. Whoever the Dave M you think is me, isn't. So please don't hold my comments against them.

I do stand by the sentiment of my comments but again apologise if they have came across as offensive. I'll leave the RSPB to defend themselves in future, Debs has proven that they are more than capable of that.

• Dave M,

Thank you for being man enough to say sorry, there's a Dave M who does cause issues, the way your post was worded it lead people to think you were he, if you are not, then that is fine, matter closed.........

• Hi Dave M.

Apologies accepted. It seems you are not who we thought, sorry for that but would have explained your ill words. Obviously just your passion coming out.

We all stand by our sentiments and we all want the best for the wildlife at the end of the day. Our passions sometimes overrun. I'm sure you will have read amongst my questions and comments that I am a Rspb volunteer (not at Rye Meads), wildlife enthusiast - not just a wildlife photographer, certainly not a shooter. Anyway - no more of this thread.