RSPB & Rathlin

I trying to gauge the work carried out by the RSPB on Rathlin , let me know your thoughts , impression , feelings.

I , personally, have a few concerns - there is a community of volunteers / workers resident at the west end of Rathlin who dont appear to fully engage with the rest of the community , no one is to blame for this impression , it just seems to exist.
I have also heard numerous reports that the experience of a visit to the reserve can be somewhat daunting , visitors are pressed into RSPB membership , perhaps not something they intended to take up - this is a shame if they are coaxed into something they dont fully understand.

Anyway , what do you all think ?

• Well from a regular visitor to the island I'd say your concerns are a bit of the mark, I've been across 6 times so far this year, with the last 4 visits being to the west light observation point, granted it's not perfect for photograping the birds up close, but you cant blame the rspb for where they nest. The volunteers have been more than welcoming and the height of pressing for membership has been to casually ask if I'm a member while offering me a cup of coffee. The most daunting bit on approach is the top of the stairs down to the observation point, certainly not the people manning the reserve.

As for them not intergrating witht the local community, the accomadation is a bit of a walk from the local pub/hub of community and taxis a bit thin on the ground on such a small island, but they still have to visit the local shop(beside the pub) Personnally I would love to be able to give up a few weeks of my free time to man/work at such a reserve but this isn't practical so the people that do should be applauded.

A few images from my Visits to this fantastic reserve are here, The RSPB must be doing something right !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronaldsurgenor/sets/72157626130226478/