The fact it's taken me till Thursday evening to write this given we arrived back last Sunday says something of how busy things have been this week. I've not even unpacked my camera kit yet hence the lack of any bird photos in this post!

The 'we' this year is a new Ramsey team - joining myself (and Dewi of course) is our new Warden, Nia Stephens. Some of you may well remember Nia from when she started her conservation career on Ramsey nearly 10 years ago as our Long Term Volunteer. She has done a lot since then but I won't steal her thunder as she will introducing herself in the next blog! Needless to say we are very pleased to have her on board and are looking forward to an exciting season ahead. (I'd just like to say a big thank you to Sarah Parmor who stepped in last year when we were unable to recruit for this post due to Covid. With Sarah seconded from her role elsewhere in the RSPB we were able to carry on the conservation and farming work on Ramsey despite everything). 

We could have taken our pick of the days to head back last weekend the weather was so settled, but with Wales playing England on the Saturday there wasn't much of a decision to be made! On flat calm seas Derek brought myself, Dewi and Nia across with all our gear. The crane was in overdrive as he headed back to pick up his lads, Tom and Jack, who seized the opportunity for a 'natural workout' ferrying gas and sheep feed in the next load.

Not quite on Ramsey but this is Nia on her mainland farm earlier this year

The week has flashed by in a blur of 'new staff inductions', showing Nia how everything works - she comes from a farming background so quad bike training wasn't needed at least! Building maintenance jobs around have begun around the farm and Derek started work dry lining and upgrading the room that will eventually be the Wardens quarters up at the bungalow.

Early migrants have been to the fore already with a wheatear on our return on 28th February the earliest Ramsey record. On the same day a blackcap was in the farmhouse valley - a migrant or any overwintering mainland bird that had popped over? On 2nd a goldcrest was in the garden and a golden plover at the north end. Today a merlin was logged and 2 red kites have been present since our return (the same 2 that spent the whole of spring 2020 with us I wonder?)

The calm weather has stayed with us all week, albeit with decreasing sunshine hours and a chill northerly developing. The weekend looks promising then it looks like low pressure will batter us next week - typical March weather, always keeping us on our toes!

Dewi getting settled back in

Calm seas and big spring tides this week

Back in time for St Davids Day

Cold March sunsets over the Bishops and Clerks have been a feature of this first week