• Arctic Bound

With spring moving onwards, late April and early May is the best time to encounter migrating waders as they head northwards to their high Arctic Tundra breeding grounds. Whimbrel, Bar-tailed Godwits and Grey Plover are the key species that occur at Rainham Marshes along with the odd Turnstone, Sanderling and Knot heading in the same direction. Many of these may have alread y travelled 1000's of miles (the Bar-tailed Godwits…

• Little Lapwing...

With so much water on the marsh and despite the best efforts of the team to mitigate the damage we suspect that many ground nesting birds lost out the near continual rain and low temperatures that set in from the third week in April. One brief success was the Lapwing nest right in front of the Purfleet Hide although the one chick that hatched has not been seen for a couple of days now.  All is not lost as it is still early…

• Eared Wonders...

Afternoon all... another overcast, windy day and I am still going through all the great photos that I was sent while on holiday.  Just  to keep you going while I sort them out have a couple of wonderful Black-necked Grebe shots from the duo that spent the 4th May paddling round on Aveley Pool!

Great stuff!

(Brenda Clayton)

Dominic Mitchell (www.birdingetc.com)

• A little damp

Well, I have been awol for two weeks on the glorious sunny, bird filled Greek island of Lesvos and have come back to tales of perpetual rain, wind, cloud and very low temperatures.  The reserve is incredibly wet with standing water in all kinds of places it was not two weeks ago. I suspect that there have been some nest losses with such high levels but we shall have to wait and see.  Will update with some sightings later…

• Bumpy ride

On damp morning or after rain the reserve comes alive with molluscs on the move!  Garden Snail abound but Black-lipped and White-lipped Hedge Snails rule the land!  So many colours and patterns!

BLHS by me!

5-5-12

• Ron on the prowl

He's back again and hungry as usual, Ron Weasel has been seen regularly out patrolling his patch for a likely snack while Sid the Stoat has been seen on the Riverwall recently!

(James Astley)

5-5-12

• Floating sausage!

With young Water Voles very much in evidence at the moment keep your eyes open for frantically paddling furry sausages as they motor back and forth across the ditches!  We even saw an adult moving here young this morning!  Great stuff!

(Basil Thornton)

4-5-12

• Outside looking in...

The FFZ is holding and the Foxes have been seen sitting and watching all the action going on inside the fence!  Plenty of grub outside for them so they will not waste away!

(Chris Lowe)

3-5-12

• Babies on the way...and some early arrivals!

Lots of nests active on the marsh at the moment. Found these on a short stroll!

Moorhen sitting tight (me)

Not the most well disguised Canada Goose nest... (Me)

... and some more little Baldies (Me)

• Still got Greenfinches!

We still have quite a few greenfinches coming to the feeders around the centre and in the woodland which is encouraging. Hopefully our seed supplies with help them all to raise a couple of broods this year!  The males are still displaying and at least three males are performing their weird bat / butterfly display around the wildlife garden!

Mrs G (Basil Thornton)

2-5-12

• Ha! Ancient armour does the trick...

It may be an ancient design but the Pill Bug's armour is still up to the challange and this Lizard was getting very frustrated with this little ball of frustration!  It gave up in the end and the tough little arthropod rolled away to live another day!

(Clive Watts)

2-5-12

• Willow Chiff.....

Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers are a troublesome duo unless they are singing!

These two shots should help out a little...