• A 1001 things you did not know about Red Spider Mites....

Ok... so there are only ten but we have had quite a few of these tiny little critters in the wildlife garden at Rainham Marshes over the last week and having been sent a cracking shot of one by Craig Burnett, I thought I would dod some digging so here we go....

• Spider mites are arachnids and are related to all spider species.
    • These tiny, highly destructive pests are common in greenhouses and on house plants and can…
  • I like Ladybirds....

With the warm weather of recent days there has been an insect explosion across the reserve with the air full of dancing midges and every blossom attracting life. Ladybirds have been appearing and we have already clocked up a good list for the year...

Two Spot

Seven Spot

Ten Spot

Twenty-four Spot

Harlequin

Pine

All images by Craig Burnett bar the Ten-spot by me

1-4-12

• You are a Jumping Spider!!

Well... this one is Mr Zebra!  Probably the commonest and most familiar of all the British Jumpers; this species can be found around the entire trail and is best looked for on some of the interpretation boards (especially in the woodland) and on the hand rails.  It has ten reflective eyes and excellent vision.

If you get a little too close with your macro it will probably turn round and Lock at you before leaping at your…