Here are the Latest Happenings from Orkney Local Group secretary Pauline Wilson

Hi Everybody

Better late than never, I would like to wish you all a Happy & Peaceful Year. Let’s hope 2015 has some kind weather and good birds for us all to watch!

Big Garden Birdwatch

Speaking of bird watching, please note that this coming weekend (Jan. 24th & 25th) sees the Big Garden Birdwatch and I expect many of you have seen details of this in the press. It’s an ideal opportunity to involve all the family and to know that everybody’s results are really important in order for the RSPB to conduct an accurate count of what birds are around. I wonder if last week’s awful weather will affect the results? I seem to have just as many birds visiting the garden as before so I just wonder how they survive those strong gales and rain?

To participate simply watch the birds in your garden or nearby area for one hour and record the highest number of each bird species you see at the same time (not the total over the hour as birds may visit more than once). Only count the birds that land, not those flying over.

You can send the results online by visiting www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch  by February 13th.

For more details visit the Facebook page of RSPB Orkney or the RSPB website.

Winter Bird Race – Sunday 1st March

Well, it’s that time of year again and our group chairman Dick Matson outlines details of this annual event:

The Winter Bird Race is only six weeks away on Sunday 1st March, so it's time to dust off your bins and get in some birdwatching practice before the Spring migration gets under way.   The format will be as usual. We will form teams of 3 or more per car and drive round the Orkney countryside counting as many different bird species as we can find between 9am and 5.30pm and then meet up at a local hotel and compare our results.  Bar meals will be arranged for those who wish to stay on for a good blether.

It would be very helpful at this stage if you would let me know if you wish to participate -by phone on 751426 or email at r.matson42@btinternet.com    All are welcome to join in - even complete beginners - it is a fun day out with a chance to learn what birds are about and where to find them.

Don’t be afraid to have a go at this fun event! Even if you are a complete beginner you will have the opportunity to learn about different birds and their habitats. I have certainly learned a lot via the bird race and the ‘experts’ are only too keen to impart their knowledge!

Scottish Ornithologists Club Meeting – Thursday 5th February

The next SOC meeting takes place at the St. Magnus Centre, Kirkwall starting at 7.30 pm and details are:

“Seabird studies on the Isle of May:  Spreading our wings after 40 years”, with Mark Newell

A summary of the seabirds and seabird work on the Isle of May, (a National Nature Reserve lying 5 miles off the Fife coast), over the last 40 years with a general background to the isle and its other wildlife. Mark will also provide an overview of expanding their work to take in other seabird colonies along the east coast.

RSPB members are very welcome to attend these meetings. A collection at the door goes towards room hire and cost of speaker.

Watch out for mini-festival

I am pleased to say that the RSPB Orkney team will again be coordinating a Nature Festival in May. The dates will be 13-17 May which is a Wednesday to Sunday. The Festival was set up in 2013 and 2014 with the Enjoy Wild Orkney funding but as this project is coming to an end in March the Festival will be shorter this year, but still very enjoyable I’m sure. I will let you know of details as soon as we have them – the full programme is likely to be available in March. 

2015 Programme will be finalised soon

For the first time, the Orkney Local Group will get together with RSPB Orkney to organise the programme of events for 2015. This will prevent clashing of dates and destinations. When the outings and activities are arranged the information will be sent out to members together with contact details. Any ideas from members are welcome. Contact the RSPB Stromness office on 01856 850176.

Stamps please!

You all know what I am going to say here I suppose. With the festive season over I know you will all have saved your used postage stamps towards the RSPB “Save the Albatross Appeal”. Please deliver these to SAS Business Supplies, 4 Laing Street, Kirkwall or to the RSPB Office in Stromness. Many thanks.

Hurray! An Otter! 

I was visiting the RSPB Stromness office on January 19th. On my return home I spotted an Otter swimming at the Brig o’Waithe. Unfortunately I was driving at the time with a car close behind so couldn’t stop, but I was thrilled to see this creature. Keep your eyes peeled when you are passing this area as I believe a family of otters was seen there last year.

That’s all for this time. I hope you are all feeding the birds plenty – I know it costs a fortune what with apples, seed, nibbles, etc. etc. but it’s lovely to watch them as they feast on the goodies. I can even see my birds hanging around early each morning waiting for the back door to open!

Please send any items of interest to me at p.wilson410@btinternet.com for inclusion in future emails.

Best wishes, Pauline W, RSPB Local Group Sec