Here is the latest news from our Orkney  Local Group.

Hi Everybody

I hope you have all received your programme of 2015 events and are deciding which ones you fancy. As you will see, there are some new events this time which should make things quite interesting. The Hestily outing at the end of May is highly recommended as there should be much to see at this time of year in Andy Mitchell’s woodland area in South Ronaldsay.

On the first weekend of July we have a cliff top walk at Windwick, also in South Ronaldsay. It is quite a number of years since I last walked along these cliffs but I can clearly remember how stunning the views were. We hadn’t been in Orkney very long so I was gasping at the sight of Puffins and kneeling down to smell the scented orchids. I wonder how the wildlife might have changed over the years? I must go and take a look.

These are just two of the 2015 events I have picked out. We also have many of the old favourites of course. The Gloup and Puffin & Seal boat trips still seem to be popular so we will continue with these. However, not everybody can make weekends so I wonder if anyone fancies an evening boat trip into the Gloup? There can be some beautiful evenings during the summer – just perfect for taking to the sea for a leisurely boat ride. Please phone me  on 01856 741382 and I will compile a list of those interested and we will try to arrange something. Please note – it would probably be quite short notice as tides and weather forecast need to be taken into account.

With reference to the Gloup and Puffin boat trips – please note that I shall be away from May 21st to June 3rd inclusive so please try and ring before these dates if possible.

The 2015 Orkney Nature Festival runs from Weds. 13th to Sun. 17th May. Details of the programme will be available very soon so keep an eye on the media as places will be quickly snapped up.

Imminent Local Group Events:

Sat 18 or Sun 19 April          -Harrier Sky-dancing

Come and watch the spectacular courtship display of the hen harrier on a guided walk in the Birsay Moors. We should also see other birds of prey.  Meet at the Rendall Community Centre at 9.30am.  Book your place with Dick Matson on 751426.  We will look at the forecast on Wed 15th and choose the more favourable day.                                                                                       

Sat 25 April  -                                    Bag the Bruck 

After the winter storms Orkney’s seashore is littered with plastic, creel rope and netting which is dangerous to our wildlife.  Please come and help clean up Waulkmill Bay with RSPB staff and Local Group members.  Come any time between 10.00am and 2.00pm.  Contact the RSPB Office on 850176.  (Orkney Field Club members will do Marwick Bay on Sunday 26 April).

Fri 24 April  -                         Local Group Spring Meeting

An illustrated talk by Anna Jemmet about the work of the RSPB and the wildlife at their Forsinard Reserve in Sutherland.  Anna is the Forsinard Information Officer.  Venue: St Magnus Centre Kirkwall.  Time: 7.30pm.  All welcome.  Refreshments provided.  Contact Pauline Wilson on 741382.

Sat 2 May -                    Visit to Shapinsay Mill Dam

At this time of year the males of our duck species are in their finest breeding plumage and many will be on view from the hide at the RSPB Mill Dam reserve.  Waders and other birds should also be present. The ferry departs Kirkwall at 9.45am and leaves Shapinsay on return at 3.15pm.  Book with Kathie or Graham Brown on 841390.  We will try to arrange a snack lunch in a café on Shapinsay if they are open for business, but be prepared to bring a picnic.  We will keep you advised. 

Sat 30 or Sun 31 May -      Hestily for Early Summer Migrants

By kind permission of Andy Mitchell, a visit to his amazing woodland reserve at Hestily near Windwick, South Ronaldsay.  The trees and bushes can be full of migrants at this time of year.  Meet in the car-park opposite Tesco’s at 9.00am or the Windwick car-park at 9.30am.  We will car-share where possible.  We will look at the forecast on Wed 27 May and choose the more favourable day.  Book with Dick Matson on 751426.

Sat 20 June -                  Into the Deerness Gloup by Boat

Boat trip into the Deerness Gloup, Brough Cave and round Mull Head to see nesting seabirds and spectacular rock formations, sailing past the seal colony on the way back. First trip departs Skaill, Deerness at 11am and the second departs at 1.30pm. The trips are repeated on:

Sun 21 June departing Skaill at 11.30am and 2pm.  Cost £15 per person.  Book with Pauline Wilson on 741382. (Before 21st May or after 3rd June)

Sat 27 June    Boat Trip to the Holms of Copinsay for Puffins, Seals and Seabirds 

By boat from Skaill, Deerness to Black Holm and Corn Holm to see the amazing wildlife and scenery.  First trip departs Skaill at 10.00am and the second at 1.00pm. The trips are repeated on:

Sun 28 June departing Skaill at 10.30am and 1.30pm. Cost £10 per person.  Book with Pauline Wilson on 741382. (Before 21st May or after 3rd June).

Forsinard Talk at Local Group Spring Meeting

I hope our members give good support to the Local Group Spring Meeting (see above) on Friday 24th April. Information Officer Anna Jemmet is travelling up from Forsinard to give us an illustrated talk so I hope we will make her journey worthwhile. Anna explains as follows:

Forsinard Flows is the RSPB’s largest reserve and covers over 20,000 hectares of the Flow Country of Caithness and Sutherland. As the single largest expanse of blanket bog found anywhere in the world the Flow Country is incredibly important, in terms of global climate change, to the species found there and also to the people who call it home. The RSPB has been undertaking landscape scale conservation at Forsinard for nearly 20 years; work that not only involves the reserve but also the surrounding land, land owners, organisations and local communities. Our aim is to protect the Flows and to restore damaged peatlands at a much larger scale to the benefit of all involved. Here at Forsinard the work we do to restore Forestry to bog is of great importance in terms of climate change.

Anybody who has visited Forsinard will know what a magical place it is. For those of you who have not, then please come along to the talk and see what you are missing! A reminder that it starts at 7.30 pm at The St. Magnus Centre, Kirkwall. You don’t have to be a member to attend. There is no entry charge, but a door collection will go towards room hire.

New Hide Opening at Cottascarth

We have exciting news that the Eddie Balfour Hen Harrier Hide will be opening on Tuesday 21st April.

The spacious new hide offers wonderful views of moorland wildlife and will, it is hoped, be well-used by school and community groups as well as locals and tourists alike. The Eddie Balfour hen harrier hide is one of the achievements of the Enjoy Wild Orkney project, run by RSPB Scotland with generous support from the European Regional Development Fund and the Heritage Lottery Fund. Go along after the 21st and take a look at this impressive new hide – those on the Hen Harrier Sky Dancing outing might get a sneak preview!

Exciting News about Sea Eagles!!

Most of you will already know by now about the pair of young Sea Eagles on Hoy. More details from Alan Leitch:

A pair of sea eagles are currently nesting on RSPB Scotland’s Hoy nature reserve. It is the first time these birds have attempted to breed in Orkney since 1873. The news suggests Orkney may become the next stop on the sea eagles’ celebrated re-colonisation of Scotland.

Alan Leitch, RSPB Scotland’s Sites Manager in Orkney, said, “This is a great moment for Hoy and Orkney. Sea eagles are utterly magnificent birds, with a wing span of up to 2.4 m or 8 feet. To see them over the hills of Hoy is a forceful reminder of the sheer beauty of nature. Too often with wildlife, once it’s gone it’s gone. It is a privilege to welcome these birds back to a landscape they inhabited for thousands of years.”

“The birds are nesting on the Dwarfie Hamars. To give them the best chance of success, anyone keen to see the birds should keep their distance and ideally keep dogs under close control in the vicinity. The roadside car park for the Dwarfie Stone is a good place to watch from but lingering too long at the Dwarfie Stone itself could alarm the birds.”

“Nesting sea eagles are specially protected by law, so if you see any signs of disturbance please pass your concerns onto the police straightaway.”

The pair currently nesting in Hoy have frequented the area for the last three springs and summers. Both are young birds, thought to be four to five years old, and this is their first known nesting attempt. Although they are inexperienced parents and may not be successful in raising chicks this summer, RSPB Scotland staff are optimistic that the birds will persevere over the coming years to make Hoy their home.  

The local RSPB Scotland team are happy to answer questions about the sea eagles, and can be contacted on 01856 850176 or at orkney@rspb.org.uk.

Blue Tit in Deerness!

Blue tit, Ian Cunningham

I saw an email on Orkbird from Ian Cunningham about a Blue Tit he had been lucky enough to see on the Rosa Rugosa at the Gloup Visitor Centre and manage to get a photo of the bird. I hurried there to take a look but, of course, the bird had flown! Just a day later though I saw Ian in Lidl car park and asked him to send me the photograph which he obligingly did. I am attaching it for all to see and drool over!

I think that’s all for now. There will be more news of events when RSPB Orkney formulate their programme and, of course, I will bring news of the Nature Festival programme when this is to hand.

I am always happy to receive news items for my emails. Please send to p.wilson410@btinternet.com.

It’s good to get out and about again after a wet, windy and miserable winter!

Best wishes,

Pauline W/RSPB Local Group Sec