This evening was our third outing for the RSPB Medway Local Groups’ organised Nightingale Festival, walks.

The first of the year at RSPB Cliffe Pools. I had been briefed by Will Tofts, the Warden of the many singing males on site. As expected the majority were along the main track between the major flooded pits, that is Conoco to the left and Hidden/Flamingo on the right.

As we all assembled in the car-park just before 7pm, I was able to speak to the 15 plus 5 volunteers about the Nightingales. The thing for me is, it is difficult in conservation to disassociate local conservation issues from local and national politics. They are the bodies in power that made decisions that affect our local wildlife etc.

The Hoo Peninsula is under constant threat from developers building unsustainable housing on the area on precious habitat and on, or if not dangerously close to Sites of Special Scientific Interest, ie Lodge Hill etc.

The evening was clear-skied, the sun was shining, and we were all up for some Nightingale singing. In the event over the next couple of hours we not disappointed. In all we heard a good dozen males giving voice. Some partial, some the full monty.

Their song really defies description in mere words. A collection of simple note after note, followed sometimes by a bubble, then a whistle moving between octaves, followed by a warble. How many times have I been asked, ”How many birds are there singing now”? I answer, to their amazement, just the one!

I think we can count the whole experience a great success, especially for those who had never heard the amazing, magnificent, never to be forgotten song of the legendary Nightingale.

I thank Warren, Lesley, Ed and Robin for their assistance.

The North Kent Marshes are a very special area and worth preserving at all cost.