It was a lovely sunny if not slightly chilly walk at the RSPB reserve today, I think the weather was definately affecting the wildlife. Whitethroats were quite plentiful in the usual scrublands uo to Sweeney VP. A lot of waterfowl were out on the floods, I wondered how much of the water would hang around as the weather (hopefully) improves, temperatures rise and natural evaporation kicks in.

For now there was still pairing, chasing and rivallry going on out there in the near distance, Med Gulls, Lapwing, Mallard, Little Grebe, Greylags, Mute Swans all vying for their territories and mates.

Walking back down to the car-park, a Nightingale churred in the sallow, but didn't sing, it was too cold.

On entering the Alder Wood it is always worth paying close attention to the emerging brambles as here when the sun breaks through the clouds, bees, butterflies, hoverflies and other invertibrates start to bask.

Best find was an Alder Leaf Beetle, a first for me.

Here I found several species of Hoverfly, round the corner Small White, Orange Tip, Brimstone, Peacock and Tortoiseshell butterflies fed on the newly-sprouting Ground Ivy. 

A quick walk into the shaded and cooler, more heavilly canopied area, this, not really surprisingly produced a pristine Speckled Wood Butterfly, swiflty joined by a second and they spiralled and sparred upwards and downwards claiming their woody, leafy paradise.

Over the last ten years, this reserve has taught me so much about the fauna and flora that call Northward Hill RSPB home.

Do come and visit us and comply of course with Goverment Covid Guidelines and here's hoping one day we will get back to normal(ish). Masks may be permanently mandatory under certain conditions, plus a yearly jab for everyone in the future.