As ever, a lovely afternoon on the reserve, a lot of cars in the car-park. I love that when I arrive as it means a goodly amount of visitors I can interact with, be they seasoned visitors or first timers. The sun was out and clouds only ocassionaly blotted it out. 

This meant a few Hoverflies still gathered nectar on the remaining Hawksbit. They were joined by a very obliging, and surprisingly fresh Peacock Butterfly.

On a nearby Bramble a Robberfly hawked, its' antenae constantly flicking, searchin chemically for its' last autumn victims.

Blackberries were still pretty plump and juicey on the bushes, a good source of sustainance going into leaner times.

I have always been intrigued how all living creatures survive the months of November, December, January, February, March going into April. Some hibernate, Badgers and Hedgehogs etc. going into a state, which has been described as 'closer to death, than life'.

Insects however can tough out the colder months by burrowing into the ground to avoid the worst of the lower temperatures as either adults, eggs or larva.

Back to today, Quite a few Herons were out on the ever dwindling autumnal (now almost non-existent) water in front of Gordons Hide. This is a natural phenomenon, depending on the summer rainfall and summer heat, so has nothing to do with reserve management or lack there-of.

Sitting on the benches at Sweeney Veiwpoint and chatting with visitors it was a great opportunity to tell them about The Shades Public House out on the distant marsh and the Cooling Radio Station and show them Marsh Harriers, Ravens kronking and a Kestel hovering. The latter being directly over where the harvest mice are, so whilst I wanted her to have a meal I would prefer it to be a vole or commoner mouse species. 

Changing the subject altogether, Will Tofts The Warden will be leaving us for 18 months to project manage The Green Recovery Fund for the Greater Thames Area. He will be working out of the new office at Northward Hill for most of the time and return back as Warden after 18 months,

As many of you know James McComiskey left a few weeks ago to be Warden at Pulborough Brooks RSPB Reserve. This leaves Joe on his own until a temporary replacement can be found and the Residential Interns return hopefully sometime round about the end of 2021.