Festival of Free Nightingale Community Walks 2023
Led and organised by members of RSPB Medway Local Group Come and experience the song of the Nightingale.

Everyone is invited to come along on free guided walks this spring to experience one of nature's wonders - the song of the Nightingale.

You don't need to be a bird expert or know anything about Nightingales - volunteers from the RSPB's Medway Local Group will help you understand where and what to listen for. Just wear good footwear and wrap up warm as the evenings can still be cool.

The Nightingale is a bird that has enchanted writers, poets and composers over the centuries because of the power and virtuosity of its song and that it sings on into the night when other birds have fallen silent. It really is something to marvel at when in full voice.

It is easy to take the Nightingales for granted on the Hoo Peninsula where there are good populations at the RSPB reserves at Northward Hill and Cliffe Pools, and of course they are at Chattenden Wood, Lodge Hill, which hosts the largest numbers of any site in the whole of the country and is the only site protected specifically because of its Nightingales.

However, this is a species in peril. In the last national survey in 2012, there were just 5,500 singing males remaining, down 90% in the last 50 years, and it is now on the Red List of our most endangered birds. This is a bird for which Medway should be proud and famous.

All walks start at 7.00 pm and last about two hours, but we will only be walking about a mile in total. Our apologies - because of the terrain the walks are not suitable for wheelchair users.

If the weather forecast is inclement, follow us on https://www.facebook.com/rspbmedway/ orwww.rspb.org.uk/groups/medway or contact the walks organiser and leader David Saunders on 07788 202 445 or saunders303@hotmail.com to confirm that the walk is going ahead. Walks take place in different weather conditions and over many varied terrains. Please ensure therefore that you have suitable clothing and footwear for the occasion.

No booking required.

Saturday 15 April, Meet at RSPB Northward Hill Reserve car park, TQ768765 (ME3 8DS) Meet in the Bromhey Farm car park.

Friday 21 April, Meet at RSPB Northward Hill Reserve car park, TQ768765 (ME3 8DS) Meet in the Bromhey Farm car park.

Saturday 29 April, Meet at RSPB Cliffe Pools Reserve car park, TQ722757 (ME3 7SX). Meet in the Salt Lane car park.

Friday 5 May, Meet at Guard House, Chattenden Lane, Rochester, TQ755734 (ME3 8NZ).Saturday 13 May, Meet at RSPB Northward Hill Reserve car park, TQ768765 (ME3 8DS). Meet in

the Bromhey Farm car park.

Friday 19 May, Meet at RSPB Cliffe Pools Reserve car park, TQ722757 (ME3 7SX). Meet in the Salt Lane car park.

Saturday 27 May, Meet at RSPB Northward Hill Reserve car park, TQ768765 (ME3 8DS). Meet in the Bromhey Farm car park.

The North Kent Marshes are a very special area and worth preserving at all cost.