This evening was the sixth and pen-ultimate Nightingale Walk organised by RSPB Medway Local Group. As usual we met at 7 o’clock at the appointed venue, this time RSPB Northward Hill.

Firstly we set off toward Ernest Hemsley Viewpoint to hear a fair few snatches of song from a lone bird, unfortunately not as yet the Full Monty as I would call it.

We then made our way back through the Willow Wood, eventually ending up at Sweeny Viewpoint with stunning vistas across the marsh to the Thames and a distant Essex.

“There’s a Barn Owl out there, going right,” someone shouted out.

Sure enough before us the Owl was fluttering, with that almost butterfly flap over the marsh then back-tracked and seemed to be actually chasing a corvid off its’ patch.

We then noticed a second Owl, this time with prey in its’ talons making its’ way to the nesting site.

We then were lucky enough to see a Cuckoo fly across, in classic droopy-winged flight mode to land on the predator fence just before the CRS building, giving us all good views of the bird.

Feeling fairly privileged already, we continued on through, across the wooden bridge to the Cherry Orchard and started our ascent to Northward Hill, after which the reserve is named.

At the Marsh Viewpoint we struck Nightingale Gold, several males were singing their full songs from several scrub bushes to the left and right of us.

We stood there as the sun slowly set in the west, giving that brilliant subtle, almost orangey glow to the verdant early summer foliage to drink in the amazing sound of the bird, we had all come to hear.

The first half a dozen or so whistles as an intro, then the bubbles etc. It defies words to justify and describe the thrill of hearing the male for the first time or even the hundredth time.

As I have said many times over the years of doing Nightingale Walks, I never tire of hearing the bird, but even more so, never tire of seeing the sheer expressions of utter joy and amazement on the faces of the assembled, who have never heard the famous song.

We made our way back downhill, still serenaded by Blackcap, Wren, Cettis’ Warbler, Reed Warbler, Whitethroat and the ever present Robin.

We were now back going up to Sweeney VP and the Barn Owl was making its’ way bac to its’ owlets with more food.

So just to round the evening off (as if it hadn’t been good enough) we heard the unmistakable bubbling call of the female Cuckoo. Confirming again there are still, at least two (if not three) males and at least a female Cuckoo on site.

In conclusion a very successful visit and one that with the Owls etc. I will recall for a while and one of the best of this year.