I visited the disused army camp at Lodge Hill in Chattenden this morning as I've not been there much of late due to going to Northward Hill a lot recently obsessing with their Cuckoos and Nightingales.

Almost straight away before I'd got out of my car a male burst forth with a full song in an uncharacteristically sparsely leaved bramble, giving me the best view of this actually seldom seem bird.

As I slowly walked around the few areas where the public has access I could hear several males either singing the full song or at least snatches.

When last surveyed a total of 84 singing males on their territories. As is well documented this is the largest population in the country representing 1.5% of their UK numbers.

It was for that very reason the site was declared some half a dozen years back a Site of Special Scientific Interest to protect this most important place for future generations. For them to be able to enjoy the sheer bliss of hearing this so iconic songster.

Medway Council will now consider all the consultation responses and decide how to move forward with their Local Plan.

They will then produce the next draft, which goes out for the final stage of public consultation, we believe in summer 2019.

The owner of Lodge Hill - the government agency called Homes England - has also said that they will submit a new planning application for houses next to Lodge Hill, and that could be in 2019 as well.

With all your help, a big marker has been put in the ground that Lodge Hill SSSI and its nightingales should be saved. We will be watching very closely for the next moves.

image: