This evening was RSPB Medway Local Groups’ last Nightingale walk of the year. The males only sing for about six weeks as they seek to establish their territories and hope to entice a female to pair up with them.

Rather sadly any still singing beyond the end of May and into June have not been able to attract a mate.

Fortunately on this occasion the Assistant Warden had kindly provided me with a map showing all the current territories.

After giving the assembled 15 attendees a brief talk about Nightingales and Lodge Hill (SSSI) and Deangate etc regarding the Local (Medway) Councils’ plans to destroy valuable Nightingale Habitat by massive over development for houses and building a so called relief road. I was delighted to inform them that one of the prime motivators for this huge impact on local wildlife, Council Leader Jarrett is stepping down next year as Leader and Councillor.

Hopefully this will make the Local Council think again about the environmental jewel that is the Hoo Peninsula.

Just after 7pm we set off to walk the creek path toward the Cliffe Creek and Sea Wall, nothing much really until we were almost at the creek, suddenly a few opening whistles came from a bramble to our right. I stopped the group and as usual amongst the robins, blackcaps etc singing I nodded my head and pointed to the bush to indicate a Nightingale singing. Eventually after a moment or two it went into full song and was the only kid on the block. Enchanted, we stood for about 10 minutes as the melodies and miriad notes washed over us

People often ask (as I have said many times before) how many birds are singing and they are surprised when I tell them it’s actually only one.

Satisfied that everyone had heard (if not seen) the fabled songster, we made our way back and along the cinder track and eventually to the car-park where we had started, some 90 minutes previously.

I thank Robin for his assistance expertise and knowledge. Des and Carol for their assistance as well.

Everyone was very complimentary on the evening and what they'd heard and I think they all went home happy. What more could we ask for? That is what a Local RSPB Local Group is all about as far as we are concerned it is engaging with non-birders and showing them what's out there and engaging with nature.