I thought I would pop up to the reserve this morning for an hour and I am glad I did. As I drove through the gates a Sparrowhawk was on high wheeling around in fairly tight circles as is their wont, not really being bothered by the nearby Corvids. A little further on along the track a Common Buzzard was doing a similar thing, again unusually for the Buzzard it was not being mobbed either.

There was also a Kestrel hovering over the Old Walnut tree car. Not bad and I hadn't even got out the car yet

In the Office car park I chatted for a few minutes with volunteers and looking up was the unmistakable shape of a Peregrine drifting overhead, the classic flying anchor.

It's worth noting that over the weekend the Nightingales were singing well, all over. Cettis's Warblers were bursting forth with their explosive song, as was a  Lesser Whitethroat, both at Sweeney Viewpoint. Whitethroat are beginning to show well and give their aerial display alongside their distinctive vocals.

Getting back to this morning I heard my first Cuckoo on the reserve in the Ash Wood, Will told me one had been around for a few days. 

So now is the time of year when I will visit RSPB Northward Hill almost every day and Cliffe Pools once or twice a week, chasing up and recording the summer visitors and creatures and insects that have lain dormant in crevises and underground for the last 6,7 or even 8 months.

Do please keep an eye on my blog and Facebook postings to see what is about on these two fantastic RSPB Reserves. In a week or so I hope to be able to start giving updates on Damselflies, Dragonflies, Butterflies and Hoverflies etc.