There’s a lot of pink and purple things around at the moment – it’s that time of year. I love purple, so I’m happy. As mentioned before we have bell heather, orchids and wild  thyme out, but also cross-leaved heath, bloody cranesbill, purple milk-vetch and sea pinks amongst others.

Then there are the bright six spot burnet moths  and cinnabar moths – proof to anyone that moths don’t have to be dull. The striking magenta of the burnets signal to predators to steer clear, as they carry lethal cyanide. Cinnabars too are poisonous – in their case the poison is from the common ragwort that their caterpillars feed on (the same ragwort that’s really dodgy for horses).

To add to all this pinkness is me – I keep going out to take guided walks without suncream on and ending up slightly strawberry tinged – but at least I fit in with my surroundings. Why not come along and see the royal purples and shocking pinks for yourself? Guided walks are every Tuesday and Thursday at 1pm, and leave from the visitor centre. But make sure you’ve got your factor 30 on (if you are anything like me anyway) – and whatever you do, don’t eat the moths...

Parents Comment Children
No Data