• A perfect winter morning

After the recent run of unsettled weather, followed by several dreary winter days with no hint of the sun breaking through, it was quite a relief to wake up this morning to a fabulous pink sky and thick frost coating the car windows. It finally felt like winter had arrived properly, at last.

It wasn't just me who appreciated the improvement in the weather - I don't mind the cold, providing I have enough layers on, but…

• Storm Barra

With Storm Barra already lashing many parts of the country, and our guides reporting that the wind was rapidly picking up, I timed my stroll around the Scrape at lunchtime today to perfection. Yes, it was a little breezy along the dunes, but as I was walking north I had the worst of the wind behind me as I watched the waves rushing in and rolling up the shingle onto the dunes. Better still, the rain held off until I was…

• New arrivals

It's an exciting time to visit Minsmere as we have some unusual visitors that will be with us for the next six weeks.  Their names are Robin Robin, Flin & Flynn, Dink, Pip, Dad Mouse, Magpie and Cat, and they're the stars of the the brilliant new Aardman/Netflix film, Robin Robin. 

As well as watching the film, you can join in with Robin Robin's adventures here at Minsmere (and at many other RSPB reserves),…

• A parrot at Minsmere!

Tuesday was a bit of a red letter day for me. First news broke, via our wonderful volunteer guides, that a  couple of shore larks had been discovered on East Scrape, alongside six snow buntings. While the latter are relatively regular on the beach, they are very unusual on the Scrape, and the former are relative rarities at Minsmere, full stop. 

As I was working in the visitor centre for the morning, I had to wait until…

• Wildlife and management update

If you've been visiting Minsmere over the past couple of weeks, you'll probably have noticed a lot of work happening on the Scrape. In particular, you may have encountered a dumper truck loaded with shingle on the Sluice track, or a digger moving that shingle around on South Scrape. You may have wondered what's been going on.

We've been preparing the islands on the Scrape ready for next spring. By spreading…

• Celebrate your inner Robin on our adventure trail this Christmas

We’re delighted to be partnering with Netflix and Aardman on Robin Robin, a half-hour, stop-motion, festive story for the whole family, about a young robin trying to fit in. It’s debuting on Netflix on 24 November – get the date in your diary! 

To celebrate, we’re inviting you to join exclusive Robin Robin-themed adventure trails right here at Minsmere nature reserve this Christmas season. 

Over 30 RSPB nature reserves…

• Fabulous fungi

As I mentioned in yesterday's blog, this is a great time of year to spot fungi. The dry weather in September delayed the season a bit, but it's definitely worth keeping your eyes peeled as you walk around the reserve.

Some fungi are spectacular, and easy to spot, due to their bright colour and relatively large size. One such species is the familiar fly agaric, so beloved in children's stories and nursey rhymes,…

• Good to be back

Let me start this blog with an apology for the long gap since our last blog. Unfortunately, three weeks ago I tested positive for Covid, leading to ten days of isolation. This was followed by further time spent at home as my family also completed their own self isolation. Thankfully none of us suffered too badly, and we're all now back to full fitness, so I'm finally back on the reserve for the first time in three weeks…

• Natural spectacles

It's been a strange autumn. After the unusually mild September, we've had variable weather to start October, though falling overnight temperatures are finally giving the suggestion that winter isn't too far away. Autumn is typically a time to admire nature's colours in all their glory: crimson hawthorn berries and rosehips adorning bushes, juicy purple sloes hanging in the hedgerows, leaves turning from green to every…

• The red deer rut is on

Yes folks, it October, so that means it's time for the rut. The season when testosterone fuelled red deer stags battle for supremacy and the right to mate with as many hinds as possible.

There are two ways to watch the rut at Minsmere: from a distance on foot, or from the comfort of a 4x4 vehicle, with an expert RSPB guide on hand.

To watch them on foot, please view from the footpath that runs along the southern edge…

• Life on the edge

Life is hard, and for our coastal and migratory birds it's getting harder with climate change, habitat loss and increasing disturbance all having major impacts on the availability of safe places for them to nest, roost and feed.

That's why the RSPB has got together with the National Trust as lead partners in a four year LIFE Nature-funded project called Life on the Edge with the aim of improving the condition…

• Insects beware!

Warm September days can be great for spotting insects at Minsmere - or in your garden - but they'd better beware as there are plenty of predators about - even though Digger Alley is now closed for the winter.

During a quick lunchtime walk through the North Bushes earlier in the week I was treated to close views of three different species of butterflies within just a hundred metres or so. This fresh comma looked particularly…

• Lingering summer

After a year of strange and varied weather - something we'll have to get used to in our changing climate - it's been lovely to enjoy some warm sunny weather this week. Even on Tuesday, when the rest of eastern England was soaked in torrential rain, the weather maps showed a tiny gap in the rain centred on Minsmere and Southwold, and we escaped with just a few light showers mid afternoon.

There's a definite hint…

• Busy wildlife, busy wardens

The Scrape continues to attract an excellent variety of migrant waders, although numbers of many species are declining as the autumn progresses. Good numbers of avocets remain (they've often all gone by September), and up to 200 black-tailed godwits are present, but for most other species the counts are now in single or low double figures. Even so, it should be possible to spot most, if not all, of the following species…

• Wildlife galore

Earlier in the week I focussed on waders in my last blog. Today is a chance to look at some of the other amazing wildlife that is on show at the moment. Pride of place probably goes to this stunning female adder that has been seen along the North Wall on several days this week. She favours the area the North Wall sluice, and likes to use the stony path as a basking spot because it's warmer than in the surrounding vegetation…

• Wader-ful Scrape

After an excellent summer for wader migration, it's great to see that there's still a wonderful selection of waders feeding on the Scrape. Most are refuelling on the long journey south, from the Arctic to West Africa, though the lapwings and snipe will spend the winter here, and the avocets are slowly departing after a successful breeding season.

The most numerous of the waders are the black-tailed godwits, with…

• Carnivorous plants and visitors from afar

Firstly an apology that there haven't been any sightings updates for three weeks, while I was enjoying a much needed family break and catching up on some admin on my return.

Of course, there have been plenty of sightings in that time, including a superb variety of birds, insects and plants.

I'll start with the rare visitors, although they have since all moved on. We were treated to not one, but two different species…

• Emily Williamson Statue tour comes to Minsmere

The campaign to create a statue of RSPB founder and eco pioneer Emily Williamson (1855-1936) is touring RSPB reserves around the country.  This will include a visit to our very own RSPB Minsmere, on Tuesday 24 August 2021. Four sculptors have each created a beautiful design of a statue for Emily and the maquettes (miniature statues) will be on display at the visitor centre where you will be able to find out more about…

• A tern up for the books

There have been some pretty impressive counts of terns on the Scrape this week, including an incredible 350+ common terns and about 50 little terns. Many of these will be birds that have finished breeding (or failed) elsewhere and have moved here to roost on the Scrape and feed offshore before starting their migration south into the South Atlantic for our winter months.

Alongside these two species, several Sandwich terns…

• So much variety

Wow, what a difference. The hot sunny weather over the last few - though thankfully slightly cooler on the coast - has brought out an incredible variety of insects, while the Scrape is busier with birds than I've seen if for several years. 

You don't have to go far to enjoy the best of our insect life, either. Right outside the visitor centre you can watch various butterflies feeding on the buddleia, search for purple…

• Long legs abound

After my walk around the Scrape today, I think it's safe to say that autumn wader migration is well underway. There are waders galore scattered across the Scrape, dominated by some impressive counts of avocets. Earlier this week our site manager counted more than 400 avocets, and, even more excitingly, there are quite a few fledged young among them. It's been a few years since these graceful birds have fledged more than…

• You spin me round

As June draws to a close, wader migration is gathering pace, with flocks of up to 15 spotted redshanks and more than 150 black-tailed godwits feeding on the Scrape, along with a handful of green sandpipers, ruffs and dunlins. As we move into July, thoughts turn to the possibility of rare waders from Siberia or North America, which regularly turn up among commoner species. 

This morning, one such scarcer visitor was located…

• To bee or not to bee, that is the question

The return of milder weather has brought out many of our star insects, but things aren't ways quite what they seem. Any patch of flowers is a great place to look for bees, wasps, butterflies and flies, with the carpets of bright yellow biting stonecrop around the car park almost buzzing with insects. Many of these are mining bees, including green-eyed flower-bees and sandpit mining bees, and bumblebees, such as red-tailed…

• Guest Blog - Henry

This week we have a guest blog by new volunteer Henry who has been getting a bit of experience working with the visitor experience and communication team. Henry has been visiting the reserve for a few years now and gets some fantastic wildlife photos - so he has written about his experiences of being an ethical wildlife photographer:

Henry

I first went to Minsmere in 2013 aged 7 with my great-grandfather (who grew up…

• Time to celebrate

Today is a big day, for lots of reasons - even if the lifting of restrictions has been delayed for a further four weeks.

Firstly, today is the summer solstice. The longest day of the year, when the sun is directly overhead in the northern hemisphere. This is one of most important days in the pre-Christian calendar, and many ancient civilisations built impressive temples around the location of the sun on the solstice.…