RSPB Mersehead Blog 16th- 22nd April

This week has been an exciting one here at Mersehead. The dark clouds and pouring rain of the last few weeks have finally gone and been replaced by warm temperatures and glorious sunshine. To add to this our fields are now white thanks to a sea of daisies across the reserve, spring has officially sprung on the Solway.

Daisies are not the only things popping up across the reserve, for the past month we have been on the lookout for nesting Lapwing on Mersehead. This week we saw our first lapwing chicks of the year inside our predator fence. Not only are these little fuzzy balls absolutely adorable, but seeing them gives me such a sense of pride. Lapwing are one of the key species we protect here at Mersehead and so much goes into it whether that’s regularly checking the predator fence, or spending hours and hours looking for nests as my colleagues Paul and Claire have been doing nearly every day. Some of our chicks can be seen from the viewing window of the Visitors Centre. None of our work would be possible without the donations of our visitors, so I highly recommend you pop over and see what your kindness and generosity help us protect.

Lapwing chick in a nest: Photo Credit: Paul Radford

This week has also been a week of surveys. On Tuesday night we had our first Natterjack Toad survey of the year. We found and recorded the size of a total of 53 male toads on the reserve. Later on in the week we carried out a couple of spawn string surveys and found quite a few Natterjack spawn strings in the pools. Gently moving through the pools with a head torch on surrounded by calling toads is a great way to spend an evening and is one of the best wildlife experiences I have ever had. It was definitely worth missing Man Utd vs Liverpool for.

Natterjack Toad at Mersehead: Photo Credit: Sam Boothman

“If I don’t move he can’t see me.”: Photo Credit: Sam Boothman

Natterjack Toad spawn string: Photo Credit: Dave Jackson

On Tuesday we not only had a late finish, but we also had an early start. First thing in the morning we headed out into the reed bed to carry out a Water Rail survey. We took a recording of a Water Rail call with us and played it at certain points around the reed bed and then listened for other Water Rails to reply. It was a brilliant way to start a day.

Water rail Rallus aquaticus, adult feeding on the edge of a small reedbed, RSPB Lakenheath Fen Nature Reserve, Suffolk, January: Photo Credit: Ben Andrew

This week we also carried out Bumblebee and Butterfly surveys on the reserve. This was the first time I had ever done these and I found it incredibly interesting seeing just how much variation there is between different species. Most of the time I just tend walk past butterflies and bumblebees without a thought about what species it is or whether it is a worker or a queen, however from now on I’ll be chasing after them like a mad man.

Common Carder: Photo Credit: Sam Boothman

Green-veined White: Photo Credit: Sam Boothman

Bufftailed Worker: Photo Credit: Sam Boothman

Speckled Wood Butterfly: Photo Credit: Sam Boothman

As well as all of the surveys we’ve carried out this week, we’ve also been busy with many other things. With the help of our local volunteers we’ve improved some of the fencing on the merse and we’ve also been over to Kirkconell to check our fencing is ready for cattle. Last night we set up a moth trap in the Sulwath Garden as has become a weekly tradition. Though we didn’t get a lot of moths we did get a Herald Moth which is an exciting species to find. Herald moths first appear between August and November, then winter in sheltered places such as caves and then emerge between March and June.  

Herald Moth found in the Sulwath Garden: Photo Credit: Paul Radford

Sam Boothman, Trainee Warden

Announcements

Upcoming events

For more information and to book your place go to Mersehead Events (event charges will apply).

Natterjack Night

(Guided walk)

Friday 22nd April

Saturday 30th April

20:30-22:30

20:30-22:30

Chorus Walk for Early Birds

(Guided walk)

Monday 2nd May

05:30-07:30

*Holiday Cottages - Planning your 2022 holidays? Discover the breath-taking scenery, wildlife, cultural and history of Dumfries & Galloway whilst staying in one of the Mersehead cosy semi-detached holiday cottages – Barnacle and Shelduck – located in the heart of reserve.

*Covid Advice - Please follow our advice on Covid restrictions and updates on our website: https://www.rspb.org.uk/our-work/rspb-news/news/stories/coronavirus/reserve-reboot/

*Flooding - Please note that Mersehead nature reserve is prone to flooding during periods of high rainfall and/or strong winds and tidal surges. To avoid disappointment at these times, please contact the reserve in advance of your visit by email in the first instance at mersehead@rspb.org.uk or check the RSPB Dumfries and Galloway Facebook Page for daily updates.