The spoonbill that I mentioned in my last blog entry was joined by another on 17th, a third dropped in on 20th and by Wednesday 21st we had a grand total of four! The latecomer only stayed for a day, however, but the others stayed on, and two are still around the reserve, although they can be a little elusive, feeding on the pools of the Low Ground as well as at Starnafin.

Our star bird is probably the American wigeon, which appeared on Sunday 18th and is still here, although it too can be awkward – showing well one moment and vanishing the next. 

(This photo by Nick Littlewood is of the American wigeon that visited last December)

A little ringed plover, four dunlin, seven black-tailed godwits and an unseasonal 13 barnacle geese were also around on Saturday 17th, six dunlin and two ringed plovers were in the lagoon on 21st, and a wood sandpiper was seen on Starnafin pools the same day. Ospreys are regular visitors, with two fishing over Starnakeppie at the south end of the loch on Saturday 24th.  One Sandwich tern made a welcome appearance in front of the Visitor Centre on 24th.

We are delighted to report that bearded tits have bred! We have suspected it for a few years, but this is the first positive confirmation we’ve had – watch out for them around Fen Hide. (picture by Andy Hay rspb-images.com)  Shelducks are shepherding their broods around on the Low Ground, and I watched a mallard defending her young from a marsh harrier last weekend.

On the mammal front, we are still reeling from Tim Marshall’s amazing orca sightings offshore  on Monday 19th (which none of us at the reserve saw!!) – and our local grey seals are definitely nervous.

Finally, thanks to all the volunteers who helped with the Beach Clean on the 24th – an astonishing amount of rubbish was collected from the beach at the north end of the reserve, around two and a half trailer-loads – some of the rope and nets will find a new home, being recycled to help red squirrels at Haddo Country Park. (photo by Vicky Anderson of some of the volunteers, including those from Fraserburgh and District Wildlife Explorers)