Hello All

My name is Thomas Pringle, I have recently joined the RSPB in my new capacity of Tayside reserves assistant warden. My time is split between Loch Leven and Kinnordy reserves but I also occasionally assist at the Tay reedbeds. I started on the 30th of September and there has been a lot to take in, so I hope I can be forgiven for my lack of blogging to date.

My aim with this blog is to document the goings on at Kinnordy and, with the assistance of the reserve visitors, inform readers of the species present during each month of the year.

October. I spent my first month learning more about my sites and discovering Loch of Kinnordy’s hidden gems. I’m still finding new vantage points and can’t help being amazed by the breath of species this site has to offer. The highlight of October’s sightings has to have been the visual and audial spectacle of Pink footed, Greylag and the small group of Canada geese taking off in the early morning.

November. Having the support of Kinnordy’s volunteers has allowed me to explore and admire this unique site. I have been awarded with frequent albeit short sightings of the local Kingfisher; sometimes at the swamp hide but not as yet at the Gullery, where I have put up a small perch, hoping to attract its attention. I have enjoyed the Starlings performing their amazing aerial displays and had the added bonus of seeing a pair of Sparrow hawks splitting the murmuration, resulting in a successful hunt. A short visit from a Pintail and this Thursday (28/11/13) a surprise viewing of a male Smew made for an exciting couple of weeks. The 28th brought even more excitement when Graham Smith, chair of the local RSPB group, reported the presence of a Bittern. Viewing this from the Gullery hide was only my 3rd sighting of a Bittern. Also worth keeping an eye out for is a White Tailed Sea Eagle which was spotted by Mr Milne on 29/11/13.

I would be appreciative of any information you have on wildlife visiting Kinnordy and any pictures to include in the blog would be warmly welcomed.

Thank you for reading the first of my monthly updates and I hope to see you, and some more exciting wildlife, about the reserve over the festive period.