• I know Seren is proving reluctant to mate at the moment, but I have seen a number of successful couplings yesterday and before. The pair-bonding business is having to be condensed into a few days in order to get a decent chance of breeding success within the normal season.  Maybe Seren just wants to go a bit slower right now.  Monty knows what he's about, but I don't know how he'd communicate that to her.

• JanetW said:

I know Seren is proving reluctant to mate at the moment, but I have seen a number of successful couplings yesterday and before. The pair-bonding business is having to be condensed into a few days in order to get a decent chance of breeding success within the normal season.  Maybe Seren just wants to go a bit slower right now.  Monty knows what he's about, but I don't know how he'd communicate that to her.

So you are suggesting that Seren is in the "Monty I think  are going too fast" mode. :)

Monty is say "Do you know  how much that observatory costs?"  "There is talk that interest rates might go up"

• Hazel b said:

I know Seren is proving reluctant to mate at the moment, but I have seen a number of successful couplings yesterday and before. The pair-bonding business is having to be condensed into a few days in order to get a decent chance of breeding success within the normal season.  Maybe Seren just wants to go a bit slower right now.  Monty knows what he's about, but I don't know how he'd communicate that to her.

So you are suggesting that Seren is in the "Monty I think  are going too fast" mode. :)

Monty is say "Do you know  how much that observatory costs?"  "There is talk that interest rates might go up"

[/quote]

:D   I know Tiger.  A pair of breeding ospreys will work wonders for the bottom line (and I truly hope we get there).

I do wonder what Seren will do if she is suddenly surprised by an egg though.  She hasn't shown much interest in resting on the nest yet has she?

• JanetW said:
    I do wonder what Seren will do if she is suddenly surprised by an egg though.  She hasn't shown much interest in resting on the nest yet has she?

You you remember how Nora did not know how to feed the chick (Einion) in 2011?

Seren will be fine.

Actually worrying about how ospreys will fare is annual event. See  Now We Got A chick Who Will Feed it?

• Hazel b said:

Seren will be fine.

[/quote]

Yes, I know Tiger ;)  They all get on with it and work it out, there's a first time for all of the birds. It'll be fun watching though.

• JanetW  Sorry I edited after you responded to that post.

• Hazel b said:

Seren will be fine.

Actually worrying about how ospreys will fare is annual event. See  Now We Got A chick Who Will Feed it?

[/quote]

Thanks Tiger - that's an interesting thread, I'd not come across it before (but then I'm new at this).  Steep learning curve for all new parents (humans included if I remember) - at least Monty has a clue this time round.

• Seren may need a few days to get into breeding condition if she has had a tough migration.  But I expect that when (or if) eggs start forming her hormones will tell her what to do.  I just hope she isn't like 08(97)s early girl friend - stopping off for a fewfish before heading north.

Hilary J

• New blog about Seren on the DOP site.

• Thank you SHERYL :-)  Great blog.

Sorry that Monty has been (or seemed to be) alone for quite a while.