Satellite Tracked Ospreys (non-LG) Aug 2012 - Sep 2014

This Topic has been set up to follow the Autumn 2012 migration and wintering of satellite tracked ospreys, other than Caledonia and Alba from Loch Garten, who are followed on this thread, Tracking Caledonia & Alba   

This topic replaces Satellite Tracked Ospreys (non-LG) Mar-Aug 2012 

N.B. There are still some missing details (and possibly birds) which I will add once the information becomes available.

• I shall leave Fearna off the spreadsheet, for the time being. I don't want to get ahead of myself!

ChloeB & Tiger's Osprey Data Site

Sat track schedule Spring 2014

LG 7 days; RW & SWT nil; LDOP varies

• jsb : Northshots have confirmed that Fearna is one of Roy Dennis tagged birds.

• Alan: Thanks, OK in that case I shall add him/her to the list. The more the merrier.

• White 13 has left on migration:

"

Number 13 has started his first migration. We have just got the last data from

his transmitter, and he left Bassenthwaite early on Sunday morning, moving South through the Central Lakes, and passing over Morecambe Bay. He was over East Manchester by 14.00 and roosted NE of Stoke on Trent. His last position at 17.00 on Monday saw him just North of Derby, and we are hoping colleagues at Rutland keep their eyes peeled ! Interestingly, two birds have been seen together today at the breeding site, suggesting our youngster may have left well before his parents !"

• Unknown said:

White 13 has left on migration:

"

Number 13 has started his first migration. We have just got the last data from

his transmitter, and he left Bassenthwaite early on Sunday morning, moving South through the Central Lakes, and passing over Morecambe Bay. He was over East Manchester by 14.00 and roosted NE of Stoke on Trent. His last position at 17.00 on Monday saw him just North of Derby, and we are hoping colleagues at Rutland keep their eyes peeled ! Interestingly, two birds have been seen together today at the breeding site, suggesting our youngster may have left well before his parents !"

Alan: Is this the source website for the above, or has Bassenthwaite got a site, of it's own, a BBC one maybe? that would carry the news first hand, or is this it? I had a quick search and found this.....I am not a regular checker of this one. Thanks.

http://www.facebook.com/ospreywatch

• JSB : Facebook seem to be first with this info this time but normally their flickr page is ahead of the game

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ospreywatch/

website

• Update on Number 13:

Wednesday 29th August 2012.

On Tuesday morning he was off in a south-easterly direction again, crossing the M1 by 9.00 and meeting the northern section of the M25 at just after 2.00pm. For the next three hours he was crossing London – the computer generated line takes him across Marble Arch, across Buckingham Palace (it is Jubilee year after all!) and then crossing the Thames near Vauxhall Bridge to meet the southern section of the M25 near Biggin Hill. This bird seems to have a sense of history as his overnight roost was just east of Chartwell. This morning 29th he was once again flying south until he met the coast between Eastbourne and Hastings. The last signal puts him in that area at 2.00pm this afternoon. Will he cross the Channel today or tomorrow? Watch this space!

• Alan thank you again for providing the updates I really enjoy reading them.  And I think it is wonderful that Number 13 has been taking a tour around London and that it has a sense of history! :) Wonderful

• Details about Lucky's transmissions.

BBC Cumbria

"The tracking device has been programmed to record the speed, altitude and course of the bird every hour."

I assume that this is correct. Have we had every hour before? Are they counting hours  during the night? GPS works at night and as altitude is calculated from radio wave measurement, by checking the deltas of object versus surroundings, I guess, they should get those too. I think car GPS models with altitude, work in that way, including night readings.

• Wouldnt it be lovely to have an hourly reading to know where they were!