EJ

I have always felt that we should have a thread for EJ as well as Odin.

My countdown clock says that we might expect her to swoop into Loch Garten 76 days from now. I hjope it has warmed up by then.

• Thanks everyone, glad you find the site useful.

• Unknown said:

Tiger thanks and still racking my brains the year I visited LG. May sound silly but that day made me come back to EJ :)

Sorry not sure what you mean by that.

• When I first came here and before visited so many places. I have been here 6 yrs in July and it was just before Easter and EJ was on the nest on her own. I would love to know more about that year and do know the nest failed. The yr before did the Wester Ross Coastal route in August. So as to be that yr.

• Unknown said:

When I first came here and before visited so many places. I have been here 6 yrs in July and it was just before Easter and EJ was on the nest on her own. I would love to know more about that year and do know the nest failed. nearly started a story :)

It is very hard to get all those requirements at the same time as EJ was rarely alone for long before old OVS turned up.

The exception was 2005 when EJ arrived on 29th March but OVS did not show until 4th April. Also Easter was early in 2005 as it was on 27th March so EJ arrived back on Easter Tuesday.

The nest did fail in 2005 as there another male involved, a young pretender by the name of Red 8T. The story of Red 8T and the Loch Garten nest can still be read over at BirdForum.

The nest was successful in 2006.

• Thanks Tiger and EJ did have a hard time before before Odin and cannot wait for her return and Odin's and do you know we all expect things to go well and they will with EJ & Odin :)

• Unknown said:

Thanks Tiger and EJ did have a hard time before before Odin and cannot wait for her return and Odin's and do you know we all expect things to go well and they will with EJ & Odin :)

All I expect is the unexpected. 2011 was unexpected in so many ways.

• B & B - Do not forget that EJ first bred in 2002 at a different nest approx 25KM from LG and I think that was with Orange VS (I am sure I will be corrected if wrong).

She first showed at LG in 2003 and that was the year another favourite Olive was sadly evicted. No production that year.

2005 and 2007 the nest failed due to footballing antics by Henry and other males trying to take his beloved - No production although chicks were hatched but died.

So yes - All love EJ but lets not forget she was not so loved in 2003 when she may have been the cause of a great favourite at LG - Olive to be dethroned. I always say an Osprey is first a villain before a hero.

But then this is ALL THE LIFE OF OSPREYS and they are unpredictable birds and as TIGER expressed it so well - I also expect the unexpected in 2012.

After all this is why we are fascinated by these birds.

• Hazel b said:

The clock on my desk says 72 days now.

As does this one. See http://people.rit.edu/cwcnvs/share/birds/

Here is a bit more about EJ taken from the biography of OVS.

2001: OVS  attracted a new female - EJ - but yet again pine martens robbed the nest of eggs.

2002: OVS , and EJ, successfully raised one young.

2003: OVS  mated with EJ, but she was forced off the nest by a green ringed (unidentified) female - EJ arrives at Loch Garten in June.

Just  bringing down a post from almost two  years ago.

Keith  What makes 2012 so fascinating is that  there are now so many well versed osprey enthusiasts online.

BTW although the green ringed bird was said to be unidentified, she was almost certainly  Green 7B who was Ollie's grandaughter.  She was a feisty bird and played her own small part in the history of Loch Garten.

• have lost all my details  of of aberfoyle and caerlaverock . can you guys point  me in the direction to access.. its an age thing