EJ

I have always felt that we should have a thread for EJ as well as Odin.

My countdown clock says that we might expect her to swoop into Loch Garten 76 days from now. I hjope it has warmed up by then.

• Just posted this on the main blog. Repeat it here so that it can be found easier.

EJ's record at Loch Garten.

2003  EJ arrived at Loch Garten in June and too late to breed.

2004   3 Chicks fledged  (ringed yellow rings on left leg, 27 (eldest), 28 (youngest) and 29 (middle chick) 27 was thought to be female and 28 male. The sex of 29 was uncertain.

2005   no chicks fledged

2006   3 chicks fledged  (ringed with yellow rings on left leg, 8U (eldest), 8V (middle) and 8W (youngest). These chicks were all thought to be female.

2007   no chicks fledged

2008   2 chicks fledged (Nethy and Deshar) (Nethy was female and Deshar was male)

2009   3 chicks fledged  (Rothes, Mallachie and Garten) (all females)

• Thanks for the stats, Tiger.  Great information.

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• Maybe time to promote this thread so that people can say new things about EJ's 2010 season.

• EJ has been very variable in her migration dates but in more recent years she has been  late August sort of girl.

2003   5th August

2004   31st July (she left the nest before 3rd chick had fledged) (Possible sighting on 6th August) Then she delivered 2 fish to the nest on August 10 and was gone.

2005   18th August

2006   20th August

2007   19th August

2008   14th August

2009   27th August

2010       ????

• I am full of so much admiration for EJ. She protected her eggs whilst covered in snow. Protected her chicks from atrocious wind and rain and shaded them from the sun. Chases any intruder, who dares to approach her nest. Yes, she nagged Odin, but she knew what was needed to raise her chicks. We will never forget her ' whales' when she decided it was time for her to go fishing and continues to do so. Will she need to stay later this year, as she did last year, after Odin had left, just to provide fish for her family. There are people who could learn a lot by watching EJ and how to care for their children. She is a beautiful, caring, majestic osprey and when the time comes, I wish her a safe migration and a peaceful winter's rest.

• I have just realised today that EJ knows what it is like to evict another osprey from her nest as she did in 2001 and suffered the same fate herself in 2003 when she was evicted herself.  She knows exactly why she has to defend her nest.

• Thanks for all the info posted on EJ.  It's especially helpful for people who don't have a great deal of Osprey watching experience.

Even taking out the emotional attachment I have to the LG Ospreys, EJ is a phenomenal raptor.  As hunter, nest builder, female half of a partnership, egg layer, incubater, chick carer, educater, territory defender etc she is completely and utterly awesome.  Watching EJ and her family has taught me so much during my first season.  I'll never forget seeing how  gentle and caring she was when feeding those tiny wee chicks.  She's done a great job because just look at them now. :-)

I was going to say she's a textbook Osprey but to be fair, she doesn't need a textbook.  In fact she'd probably just offer it one of her special: "Don't (insert preffered expletive) with me." look, and then use the textbook as nesting material to shelter her chicks from the elements.  She's that sort of Osprey, undeniably ospreytastic.

Paul.

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• EJ is definitely not a textbook osprey, in fact I don't know if there actually is such a bird. She is one amazing osprey that's for sure!

• EJ is just a fantastic osprey and is always aware of her familys needs. She vigourously defends the nest when she has to. She protects her young through all sorts of extreme Scottish weather and she even fishes for them when she thinks the time is right. She has fledged 14 chicks at LG, 6 now with Odin as her mate. Hopefully in years to come this will be seen as a great osprey dynasty with returning young to swell the osprey numbers.

• What more can be said?  A mother needs so many attributes and this EJ seems to have them all - with the family to prove it.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!