Weekly Chat, Sunday December 13, 2009

Hi everyone. If you didn't check the last few pages of the previous week, it was very busy. I'm going to catch up all the latest posts after dinner.

• This is a useful site for tracking lightning strikes. I know it is not relevant at the moment but I have used it in the past and it is very interesting:

http://www.meteorologica.info/freedata_lightning.htm

• i`ve been reading your lovely Christmas memories and begun to wonder why Santa visits you guys in the morning of the 25th and us in the evening of the 24th. Then I realised: because Santa actually lives here in Finland, it is quite convenient for him to start his rounds here. And it also gives him time to visit more homes here personally ;)

• Good Morning/Day:

Chilly here, currently at 10f/ 12c but sunny. We seem to have gained a neighborhood flock of starlings and they're so entertaining to watch and listen to, when you can stand to be outdoors that is. I've been learning that starlings are quite intelligent and very adept at mimicry.  I'm leaving a quick 40 second example and then have to dash off for the day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f36CvRm3rJI&feature=related

Happy Woensdag to all!

• Unknown said:

i`ve been reading your lovely Christmas memories and begun to wonder why Santa visits you guys in the morning of the 25th and us in the evening of the 24th. Then I realised: because Santa actually lives here in Finland, it is quite convenient for him to start his rounds here. And it also gives him time to visit more homes here personally ;)

Doen't Santa visit places like Poland on Christmas Eve too?

• Hazel b said:

Doen't Santa visit places like Poland on Christmas Eve too?

Hi, Tiger! Yes I think he does ;) I think there is an official explanation to these different traditions, but I don`t know it.

• Hello.

Alan Petrie:  Thanks for the link to the site about lightening.  I feel I've learned so much since I joined this group.

Caerann:  Totally agree with you about starlings.  We get a fair number where I live and they're fantastic entertainment.

Auntie, Tiger: The only place I know that Santa doesn't visit is Spain.  I learned in Spanish class at school many years ago that it's the three wise men who hand out Christmas presents there.

Paul.

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• Morning all:  Glad page sorted itself out.  Tiger: Good news about LG evenings!  AQ:  Boo to hot weather; do you slave over a hot stove doing Christmas dishes? Maybe Christmas BBQ instead? Now we need a California/West Coast version of "Twelve days..."   OG: My husband does volunteer computer work for Direct Relief International, a local medical/charity that works with local doctors/agencies in disaster areas - very good group. He's compiling a database so they can track donations vs. expenditures more closely. (WIsh he'd be as diligent in cleaning out the garage.) Don't think it was anything anyone did with the page; it just gets weird now and then (but don't we all).  Auntie: Assume Santa coming personally to your house - kids here leave out milk and cookies. I think I'd rather have mulled wine and mince pies.  Alan: Interesting site might come in handy if LG gets t'storms next year. Caerann: The starling videos are amazing. I had no idea. Off to start the day. Take care all.

• Caerann : Thanks for the clip of the starling. I will see them in a new light now when they scoff all my mealworms. The house opposite us has a starlings nest in the eaves and they are still roosting there at the moment so they dont all roost in flocks.

• Thanks for the clip Careann, excellent stuff.

Auntie, nice to have Santa living there:)

• This is a photo taken from the Anglia Water website of my favourite osprey from Rutland Water 32(05):