LG Osprey GABFEST - November

October has come and gone and once again it is time to open a new thread for the Gabfest..

During October we did finish the movie WILD MOUNTAIN THYME, complete with musical score, as planned. We launched it into distribution with its own World Premier. The Stars and most of the Supporting Cast were there appropriately dressed for their glitzy walk down the red carpet. Unfortunately co-stars EJ & ODEN and family were unable to attend as they are all currently on migration to Africa.

Keith surprised us with some very interesting bird & wildlife reports direct from the Sahara Dessert and from his own equatorial Island in the Sun. His on-the-spot factual reports helped us to understand the dangers our osprey face once they complete their long hazardous journey.

Our first music night was a smashing success that left everyone eager for the second.

Then we ended the month with a wonderfully thoughtful and caring discussion of the benefits or possible harm of the tracking of osprey and other birds.

NOVEMBER will bring continued reports and DISCUSSIONS of our own “Special Three“, Tore, Bynack and Rothes who have arrived safely in Africa. We will be watching especially for news of Bynack who has been in an area that seems to be potentially dangerous. We will be watching also for updates of young Ozwold who was VERY reluctant to leave Bonnie Scotland, but is finally taking a stopover in Spain where Roy Dennis says he can safely winter. So, will Ozwold stay in Spain? or will he move south?, on his own unique time schedule? We will also be following the adventures and misadventures of other tagged osprey, including Einion who had us holding our breath while he made a huge circle over the Atlantic, his siblings from the Dyfi nest and others that may come to our attention.  All this and much more is discussed on the Gabfest.

We expect to have The Second Gabfest Music Night toward the end of the month. The theme is yet to be discussed & determined.

This is the Freedom Forum, where fun, fact and fantasy combine to make a very unique thread. So come on in and chat a while with us. Our fire is bright and the latch is always open.

• B & B - Maybe next year I will collect you from your duties at Edinburgh Zoo and introduce you to some of these birds.

Unfortunately I think you are going to have a busy season on them roller skates as a lot of people want to come to the Panda Exhibit.

• Keith maybe you could be my manager and take me on tour lol.  Serioulsy I have asked for a new pair of Rollerskates for Christmas.  Oh dear I might be like the Grannie in the Iron Bru adverts terrorising the shoppers at shopping centres.  

Thanks for the news on Beatrice and I also think Nora was a young first time breeder at Dyfi and think she might be the same as Beatrice as Monty did look after the young for a little bit longer than I expected and what a good dad. I should keep a diary of the dates which I will next year.

• I'm off to do some serious shopping - just as soon as I find my shoes!  

You all have a good gabfest while I'm gone & I'll catch up when I get back.  After everyone is in bed most likely, except maybe Sunshine.  Hope there's lots of company.

Oh yes, I'll have to write a welcome for the new Dec thread late this evening. A short one this month, I think.

• Like your Whisky choice......have you tried their Nadurra...scrummy:)

• Yes Dec thread tomorrow and where as they year gone? Have a good shop.  

i am going also June and might put on my Chistmas wish list some fur lined wellies "Wellington Boots" as you may know them June:)  I want the designer ones but "Who Wants Never Gets"

Bye all and Black Jag do not drink too much and fall over lol.

Mary GK you cheered me up so much with your pics and really good they are and fond memories of some of the places.

I am going as tired and will not boomerang honest!!

• B & B - Beatrice is now 11 years old having first raised chicks in 2004 (1 chick) with Ochre TK and 2 chicks with him 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008. Then she was sat tagged in 2009 - 2 chicks with Ochre TK,

2010 - went a bit of a run a round taking a different nest with an old male whose female never turned up and they had one chick. This year again not settled as old male did not appear but gained another new mate (3rd) and reared two chicks at her old nest.

Her old mate Ochre TK not heard of since he migrated Autumn 2009.

So she is experienced.

As interesting as Metal Ring maybe.

• ok Boomerang and then going.

Keith no wonder I confuse people.  I meant Nora is young and maybe an early leaver also.

To me she left a lot earlier than her chicks and Monty and if I am right the eggs hatched later and not sure of the date Nora arrived and maybe her body clock told her to leave but she is only three and hope she is back next year as it will be fascinating.  The kids were in good hands with Monty and he never left them and even took fish to two nests

I need to keep a diary :) I will next yr as I am fascinated as this year so many remarkable stories.

I am hoping for Aberfoyle next year and hope so so much because it is within easy distance for me and more importantly, I want it to be a success. Why do so many contest that nest?

Please anyone I do not mind being corrected as I am speaking from memory only :)

I am switching off now and have really enjoyed reading all of your comments

• Wendy B - Sorry I had a laptop failure - Speyside malts I can not think of any better and I do like a little Glenlivet now and then. One will do me all night as I believe it should be enjoyed.

I have never bought the Nadurra but have been given it on accasions and yes I agree with you very mellow. Nadurra is Gaelic for Natural and I understand Glenlivet make this as they did in days of old. The 18 year old I have is a present from my wife - I must have pleased her that day - however i am having a Glen Garioch tonight to toast St Andrew Day along with Shortbread and Oat Cakes a local malt of mine just a few miles up the road at Oldmeldrum.

• June. The four countries in UK has Saint's.

Here in Wales we have ST David, Scotland has ST Andrew, Ireland has ST Patrick and England has ST George.

We are all ruled by the Government in England and the Queen is the head of our country as she is in Canada, N Zealand, Australia and many more that belong to the Commonwealth. :-)

If nothing goes right, go left! :-)

• Unknown said:

Well June...The countries that make up the UK each have a Patron Saint.

England has St.George on 23 April,

Ireland has St.Patrick on 17 March,

Wales has St.David on 1st March.

Scotland has St.Andrew on 30th November.

I'm just home folks...

Good to see you back from your Haggis hunting Keith. And yes I did think of B&B on her skates when I saw the Pandas on the news.

Your talk of malts has me reaching for a wee Bowmore before bed.

Hi Sandra, raise a glass to Scotlands Saint to usher out the Autumn and I'll salute yours to welcome the Spring.

All for one and one for all.