The Osprey Chat Thread for September 2011

In response to the demand for an osprey chat thread I am now making one for September 2011.  I guess there will be quite a bit to chat about given the success of the extension thread.

• I've been reading the forum re the Perth (Oz) osprey family and was wondering how the chick could still be with the parents - but was educated to the fact that not all ospreys migrate!  What lucky birds, not to have to face the hazards that our darling birds do.

IMAGICAT

• Thank you scylia for posting the picture.

I have only just registered and am still feeling my way.

Dogs have owners,Cats have staff.

• GrahamT, I followed Pot Plant Owl last year,checked yesterday and the cam was up and running,saw the first egg in the pot (can't say nest can we)

• If you want to hear Plant Pot Owl listen here.

Hey, I found the live web cam.

• Thanks lowry and moffer.Typical isn't it.I put pot plant owl cam in favorites last year and went to it every time,this year It was taking me to a safari park.Oh well! Live and learn.

She is fabulous.

Dogs have owners,Cats have staff.

• ChloeB said:

Hi ALL

Agree that this thread is in response to a need for general osprey chat to stop the main data threads getting clogged up and is a natural distributary from the WDU and continuation. Scrolling through loads of chit chat in amongs data reports in threads is never very helpful.

The Weekly Chat thread has evolved into all things non osprey so this is for all things osprey.

Thanks Kate. Glad you like the website :)

Well, they say we learn something new every day.!  Today I learn that Owls have morphed into Ospreys - or have they just been reclassified?

I totally agree with the remarks by Annette on this thread overnight - and so does at least one other person, because it wasn't me who gave her five stars for each post.

And I cannot agree with the remark that "The Weekly Chat thread has evolved into all things non osprey": Annette posted Osprey news early this morning, and I frequently update there on my local Dumfries and Galloway Ospreys.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• OMG MOFFER That is wonderul Thank you so musc Clever you If you look at the link Graham gave me it says breeding season is Aug-Dec so perhaps we'll have something elas to watch to see us through the winter....if its not being disloyal to EJ and Odin et al I wouldn't want them getting jealous

Isn't she a beauty? I love her ears waving in the breeze. When you look at last year's picture of her with her 3 largely fluffy offspring its difficult to imagine them all in one plant pot...but there they are

CIRRUS did you watch last night with the Ingrid from NZ and the orcas? Awe-inspiring. I was really upset about the pilot whales..so, so sad

• I've just this second started watching my recording of the orca prog, now I know I'm going to be upset, not just suspect it ;-(

Did you (Patily, Cirrus) see the programme about the Lovely Luna?  So sad.

MOFFIE, thanks for the webcam link to Owlie :-*  How am I going to keep up with it all?!

IMAGICAT

• Did you (Patily, Cirrus) see the programme about the Lovely Luna?  So sad.

can you remind me SCYLLA The nmae sounds so familiar

• Just looked in on this thread and I must say it is very confusing to have all these threads instead of one thread devoted to "ALL THINGS OSPREYS". There are other threads for following other bird wildlife.

But, manners, welcome to GrahamT and hope he enjoys the banter etc.

OG  and Annette - it would be nice to have just one thread for all the ospreys and obviously we do report from time to time on the Weekly Chat.

What are other people's opinions. There are so many threads now that I for one can't keep up with them. Sorry, don't mean to be a killjoy or anything like that.