Tracking Loch Garten Ospreys : July 2011- May 2012

I offered yesterday to start a new Topic once Bynack had fledged, but as we now have the updated Satellite Tracking page, and biography pages for Tore and Bynack, and there are some tracking results for Tore on Google Earth, I’ve gone ahead with it.

A brief introduction to the ospreys we’re tracking – first, the class of 2011.

Torelink to her Biography

Tore is the elder of this year’s juveniles, her ring is blue/white 48. She fledged on Tuesday 12th July aged 54 days, and has started to do a little exploring.   

Bynack link to his Biography

Tore’s younger brother, ring blue/white 47. Bynack is aged 53 days today and has yet to fledge.

Edit: He has fledged, at 10.18 am today 16/7. 

Rothes link to her Biography

Rothes is the eldest of EJ and Odin’s offspring, hatched at Loch Garten in 2009. Her ring is white/black PJ. She migrated as a juvenile to Guinea-Bissau, and spent her formative months on the small island of Unhocomozinho, in the Bijagos Archipelago. Now a sub-adult, she has travelled north to Europe for the first time this summer and is currently in the Gironde estuary in SW France, where she also spent 6 weeks on her way south in 2009. So far, she has not returned to the UK.

Rothes' earlier travels were followed in this thread, now closed.  

• Rothes seems to have got fed up with the caviar! :)

• I have never tried caviar, have you Tiger? :)

Can't say I really fancy it though I do like fish.

• Is there a way to remove the other, older, tracks apart from just unchecking the boxes each time?

• ChloeB said:

Is there a way to remove the other, older, tracks apart from just unchecking the boxes each time?

Untick the high level, 'Loch Garten Ospreys'....that removes all the ticks in one go...expand with the + sign, if necessary....or just go to Rothes 2011 route and tick that and the route is displayed without the points, then if you want say July 11th, you can tick that. Occasionally two points are superimposed, so you can see them individually.

ChloeB & Tiger's Osprey Data Site

Sat track schedule Spring 2014

LG 7 days; RW & SWT nil; LDOP varies

• P.S. Avoid the right click/delete...it could affect the kml file...I may try that on my old desktop as an experiment at some stage....but I suspect it would ruin things.

ChloeB & Tiger's Osprey Data Site

Sat track schedule Spring 2014

LG 7 days; RW & SWT nil; LDOP varies

• jsb said:

P.S. Avoid the right click/delete...it could affect the kml file...I may try that on my old desktop as an experiment at some stage....but I suspect it would ruin things.

No need to worry about this - it only deletes for that session (or until next refresh). The data is evidently all in a single file, so when it refreshes for latest updates, you get all the old data back as well. Not entirely a good thing - I would actually quite like to permanently delete at least Deshar. That long, lonely route out into the Atlantic is just so sad to see every time I open Googe Earth.

• Does anyone  think Rothes will continue North to LG at this late date?  Or do you think as Richard stated  she will probably see the  migrating Ospreys and  turn around and go back South  . If that  happens  will it be migratory information gain from the  tracking devise that was  previously  unknown?  A 2 year old only coming part of the way back  

Formerly known as Barbara Jean

• Barbara C said:

Does anyone  think Rothes will continue North to LG at this late date?  

Hi Barbara

Tiger evidently still thinks she will - he said so in the latest blog - but I am increasingly doubtful. We're now nearly a month past the solstice, with the days noticeably getting shorter, and as Richard says, from now on there will be increasing signs of southward migration. Rothes stayed on the Gironde till 24th September in 2009 though, so she may not be going anywhere fast. 

If Rothes stayed in France, it would be new information gained from tracking. Earlier in the season, I drew up a list of ospreys sat-tagged as juveniles known to have survived to age 2 or older. Of the four UK/European ones, Rothiemurchus, the Finnish osprey Mirja, and 06(01) which actually bred at Rutland Water as a 2yo, all returned to their homelands. The remaining bird, SK(02) we don't know about as her transmitter had failed; she showed up again breeding in Scotland as a 3yo.

The 5 North American survivors, from Rob Bierregaard's study, all returned to the US (2 more were shot in Cuba on their first migration north). However, they are from a different sub-species, which might have different behaviour.

• Looking at results from the Translocation at Rutland the arrival dates of 7 returning 2 year old Ospreys ranged from 9th May to 6th August so there is still plenty of time yet.