Frustration Nests (Ospreys)

Some of you will be familiar with frustration nests. When a nest fails the pair often build a frustration nest.

This of you who have read Scottish Ospreys (page 70)   will remember how it was the discovery of a frustration nest in the Sluggan pass in 1955 alerted the powers that be that ospreys were nesting in Scotland.

The reason I bring up this topic now is that there are reports of a frustration nest at Loch of The Lowes. I have no details yet.

Sometimes frustration nests are built up into real nests the following season but more likely they are abandoned.

I do believe that the new nest at Bassenthwaite started as a "frustration" nest last year. Mind you that was odd because Bassenthwaite was a successful nest last year. However the Bassenthwaite female ha been known to like a change of scenery in the past. Just as well she is not at Loch Garten!!

• Goof morning Tiger  and thanks for that info.  Perhaps we will find out more in time.

Margobird

• Morning Margo  The present nest at Loch Garten has its origins in the frustration nest of 1958 when the osprey nest was robbed. That 1958 nest was in a much different place to the present one. See map from Scottish Ospreys.

In other words the ospreys built their 1958 frustration nest close to where the present nest now stands. Then in 1959 contrary to expectations they built the frustration nest up into a real one. I think that the reason why it is not quite the same nest today as the nest was vandalised in 1980.

• Yes it was really interesting to learn that about the new Bassenthwaite nest wasn't it Tiger?

I reckon Mrs No-ring's first name must be Gracie :)

Can't use rich formatting at the moment as it takes an absolute age to come up!

• Thanks for the interesting info, Tiger.

• Great idea Tiger; Didn't the current site N at Rutland start out as a frustration nest after 08(97) & 5N(04) failed at Manton Bay in 2008? They certainly started nesting there in 2009 & were missing for periods after failing in 2008.

• Unknown said:

Great idea Tiger; Didn't the current site N at Rutland start out as a frustration nest after 08(97) & 5N(04) failed at Manton Bay in 2008? They certainly started nesting there in 2009 & were missing for periods after failing in 2008.

I do not think so Vespa. I am not sure a frustration nest was built by 08 (97) and 5N (04) in 2008 but they could have done. The thing was that the Manton bay nest was moved in the winter of 2008. When the birds returned in 2009 I do believe that at first they settled on the "new" nest. However for whatever reason 5N decided she did not like it and moved on.  That is my recollection of events.

• I  found the account of JSB of great interest  I feel very pedestrian Osprey wise in comparison
    Certainly, I've learned a new word today. ''Extirpation'' .

I don't have Philip Brown's book (yet) but being very tender hearted feel I need to leave its reading for another time (in view of what Chloe said)

I like the map of the locations of the various eyries Tiger. So I've copied it trusting that that is in order.
    So, I've learned even more this year and thank you all.

• Cirrus  There are 20 copies available on AbeBooks ranging from £0.63  to £99.95 + P&P

• hi TIGER I  am reading the book now. i am starting on chapter eight (disturbers of the peace)when you think how GEORGE  WARTERSTON and the team put up with all the problems and weather you realise how dedicated they were.  i have spent a lot of time in the PITYOULISH , TULLOCH AND MALLACHIE area.. wonderful countrside

• sunshine said:

hi TIGER I  am reading the book now. i am starting on chapter eight (disturbers of the peace)when you think how GEORGE  WARTERSTON and the team put up with all the problems and weather you realise how dedicated they were.  i have spent a lot of time in the PITYOULISH , TULLOCH AND MALLACHIE area.. wonderful countrside

That is fantastic SUNSHINE    that is probably the most inflential book of my life. When did you buy it?

You can tell us about it here.