Technical Test Thread

I have decided to start this thread for discussing technical issues that come up rather than messing up the other threads.

I guess the first issue seems to be pasting Word text into posting boxes.

Recently we have had three threads lockup up as a result of posts involving Word text.

• Hazel b said:

You will think I am really stupid, but I don't know what that means.  I click on explorer every time I need a new window, so I can have 2 cams and the forum. Don't usually have any problems with that, but today, I am. I'm going to try shutting down and restarting, maybe do a bit of a cleanup.

Thank you Tiger.

That sounds like a good plan.

Tabbed browsing is where you open more and more windows by clicking the little square at the top of the browser. You can have many windows open at once.

[/quote]In all the years I have had this laptop, I have not used those tabs. Just tried them, have 5 cams up, and the forum and everything working fine. Thank you :))

• Starling said:
    In all the years I have had this laptop, I have not used those tabs. Just tried them, have 5 cams up, and the forum and everything working fine. Thank you :))

Always worth spending some time learning. :)

• Unknown said:
    Mmmmm wish i had one of those ....... external hard drives. it will have to wait a few months but i will definitely look into that

You can get decent capacity flash drive/memory sticks for reasonable prices. Worth thinking about if you can't run to a large hard drive.

• Hazel b said:

In all the years I have had this laptop, I have not used those tabs. Just tried them, have 5 cams up, and the forum and everything working fine. Thank you :))

Always worth spending some time learning. :)

[/quote]DEFINITELY! I never stop :)

• ChloeB said:

Mmmmm wish i had one of those ....... external hard drives. it will have to wait a few months but i will definitely look into that

You can get decent capacity flash drive/memory sticks for reasonable prices. Worth thinking about if you can't run to a large hard drive.

[/quote]

Thank you. I particularly want something to stack my videos on Would a memory stick be suitable for videos?  I'd certainly think of that sooner than later.

• Ah now, videos take up a lots of space. You would have to work out just how many GB of space you need before you decide what to do.

• Oh, OK - I think it would probably have to be a proper flash drive

• "Flash" drives (USB sticks, jump drives, they've got lots of names which I don't understand) of any significant capacity are not cheap (by our standards).  I'm wonder about an external desktop drive, or an internal one placed in an enclosure, both of which could connect via a USB cable.

Working with USB 2.0 (which is what you have) is on the slow side - but, if you are recording a cam you can set the software to save to D-drive (it probably already is) and then, every day or two, depending on how full D is getting, transfer it over the the external drive for perpetuity ;-)

===

I've just finished cloning this (my "working") laptop to an SSD *eek* ... now must to figure out how to remove and replace the existing drive.  Am nervous, what with my hot, shaky hands. Off I go to YouTube for some demos.

Am hoping to notice a speed-up when video-editing, which can take ages.

Ooh, look what I found :-)

IMAGICAT

• My largest capacity ext hard drive is a 2TB one. I also have smaller ones with a few hundred GB each and also a variety of memory sticks/flashdrives, call them what you will, the smallest of which is 2GB and the largest 64GB.

I have removed both laptop and desktop hard drives before and have caddies (enclosures) for each. Not tried doing what you are though scylla so hope all goes well :)

• It did go well, thank you CHLOE :-)  I had to have help pulling out the battery connector because it was stiff and no room for fingers, bro did it with pliers :o

I've just edited a bit of Mrs 05 and, fingers crossed, it seems to be making a huge difference, but I need to try it out on a Looduskalender hi-def one before I jump for joy ;-)  That's next.

However, accessing the files on my recording laptop is a disaster, I simply cannot give myself "permission", don't know what to try next :-(

IMAGICAT