Technical Test Thread

I have decided to start this thread for discussing technical issues that come up rather than messing up the other threads.

I guess the first issue seems to be pasting Word text into posting boxes.

Recently we have had three threads lockup up as a result of posts involving Word text.

• Unknown said:

NiteOwl U have just read your message and we should not get so many spams and you must be able to stop it.

Sorry I'm not always around in here - in fact I haven't been very active on the forums at all lately. If you can't stop all the spam you might have to resort to changing your email address. I know it's a pain, but if you only have a small list of contacts you can easily let them know your new one. A friend of mine was forced to do this recently when his Yahoo account was hacked, and although it did take some people a while to correct the address, things seem to be working smoothly for him now.

"Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not too sure about the universe..." - Albert Einstein

• Always good to have some disposable email addresses ie sub accounts that you can terminate if necessary. IMO once an account has become spam riddled it is time to kiss it goodbye.

Spam filters are good but some spammers just alter a tiny part of a lengthy address each time so blocking isn't always successful.

• It seems that more posh links classes are being sought. Those inteested should  register their interest here and then a way forward can be decided upon.

Some people might prefer individual help wheras others prefer a multi person lesson.

• In the Osprey Chat thread Kate2 did a posh link back to her own final explanation which was great.

Perhaps we should use that Tiger :)

• Have just seen a news item that BING MAPS have been updated.  It may be hit-and-miss as to whether there's any improvement on Google Maps, but the example they give to a park in Nottinham looks very clear, so I wondered if we should bear it in mind if we're trying to get better views of osprey haunts.

Some feedback indicates poor results for non-US users.

IMAGICAT

• Has anyone else had problems accessing the Forum? I have it as a favourite and use it daily. For the last two days, early in the morning, it has taken ages to load and then come up with an error message saying there is a fault with the RSPB site. Later in the day all OK. This morning it did it again and using the 'Contact us ' page it would not send the fault report!. Did a Google search, logged on to RSPB and found the forum. Checked the URL which is exactly what I have saved. Went back to my usual short cut and all was working!!.

• Mike B said:

Has anyone else had problems accessing the Forum? I have it as a favourite and use it daily. For the last two days, early in the morning, it has taken ages to load and then come up with an error message saying there is a fault with the RSPB site. Later in the day all OK. This morning it did it again and using the 'Contact us ' page it would not send the fault report!. Did a Google search, logged on to RSPB and found the forum. Checked the URL which is exactly what I have saved. Went back to my usual short cut and all was working!!.

Yes I have had problems getting on for quite a while. Not just now mind you.

Going through the main RSPB page seems to work.

• Hi Mike

Yep! problems trying to login , giving error, then back I page and it is ok.

Also timing out when changing links to differrent threads, and the wheel going round for ages when trying to reply.

• I have aso had the same problems. It will limp along until the Ospreys are either close to arrive / or just arrived, and then break down as usual ;-))

• I too have been having to log in via the main page for a few days. Nothing new though, it happens from time to time then settles down again.