Weekly Chat page, Tuesday, September 1, 2009

OK, let's see how this goes. Maybe use this page for general chat, which can include ospreys, but also non-osprey related chatter? It also doesn't have to be Daily, but time will tell. It may not take shape until after the Diary goes away.

As Carol noted, Tiger set up the "Tracking Rothes and Mallachie" page, which might be the best place for serious observations about our girls and their progress. There's also a "Tracking Other UK Ospreys" page .

In the meantime, we can twitter on about ospreys, dogs, guinea pigs, kids, vacations, etc., - and post poems - here without boring the "osprey only" members of the community.

Feel free to boo loudly and make suggestions if you see any problems. Thanks everyone!

• Sorry to bemuse you Cirrus. I was born in Dundee and lived there for 24 years.

• Ah ..... she says in an 'all knowing way'. But now you're in Hunts?

Knowing it would take a miracle and knowing that I've missed her anyway, I am still scanning the skies from my upstairs computer room, which gives me a view clear over to the southern Cotswolds, for  a  Marvellous Mallachie on her travels. And I don't know how I managed to get the italics  (!) or whether I need a    :)   or a  :(
  • Morning all.

Weather over there sounds ghastly - floods? Rain for three days? Hope it subsides before any real damage is done.

Soosin: Had to go to Google Images to see what a Bustard looked like. Never mind the odd name, but they do look different. Was reading on Wikipedia that the West/Central African version can grow 4 feet tall. That's a big bird, then they do this strange thing with their neck feathers, which ruffle up and make them look even more out of proportion.

Cirrus: You get the itals by hitting Control I (not one but "eye")  and bold by hitting Control B. If you do it before you type, all subsequent words will be itals or bold until you hit the keys again. Or you can select a passage and hit the Control I or B keys.

I was blathering on about hummingbirds and how aggressive and territorial they are but had a question (which I should probably know the answer to but haven't had time to find out) and wondered if it's a known phenomenon with other birds: That is, they don't like other hummingbirds near "their" feeder during the day(and each considers the feeder his or her personal property), but late in the evenings, when the sun has gone, I've routinely seen four on the feeder at one time and one or even two hovering nearby with no aggression at all. Each feeder seats four birds. I'll have to check it out. Just fascinating behavior (but maybe only because I don't know the answer).

Looked up "avatar" and the closest synonym in normal use is "symbol." Not a satisfactory sub.

Does anyone think we should start a new Chat page on Sunday? This one is getting long.

• Carol: Speaking of avatars, I do like your new one. I'm going to have to dig around and get a new one, one of these days..

• Thanks Annette. Having produced the italics  I had intended to  experiment with bold but now I know what to do I'll have a go.   :)  Trust it's a toggle.  Yup.

Right off to work now but I'm so looking forward to new satellite data re Mallachie. Anyone know if we'll get satellite updates over the weekend?

•  

Forgetter Be Forgotten

My forgetter's getting better,
    But my rememberer is broke
    To you that may seem funny
    But, to me, that is no joke

For when I'm 'here' I'm wondering
    If I really should be 'there'
    And, when I try to think it through,
    I haven't got a prayer!

Oft times I walk into a room,
    Say 'what am I here for?'
    I wrack my brain, but all in vain!
    A zero, is my score.

At times I put something away
    Where it is safe, but, Gee!
    The person it is safest from
    Is, generally, me!

When shopping I may see someone,
    Say 'Hi' and have a chat,
    Then, when the person walks away
    I ask myself, 'who the hell was that?

Yes, my forgetter's getting better
    While my rememberer is broke,
    And it's driving me plumb crazy
    And that isn't any joke.

CAN YOU RELATE???

Please send this to everyone you know
    because

I DON'T  REMEMBER
    WHO  I SENTTHIS TO!

LIVE, LOVE & LAUGH A LOT

All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.
    Spike Milligan

• Cirrus: Folks who've been around for the last season will have a better idea about updates once the center has closed.

Soosin: I can relate to the words; just couldn't see any images (just that little red X in an empty box).

• Wonderful poem Soosin...... it seemed somewhat familiar but memory needed jogging as you said!! Great to read it again. Nice light hearted start to the weekend.

I could only see boxes instead of pictures, anyone else got the same problem?

The poor nest does look sad now, logged on from force of habit and then saw the weather in Scotland. No wonder the grass is always green, more than your fair share of water up there.

Hope everyone is safe and dry. I know what a flooded house is like..... 2 years on and I'm still not completely sorted out from our flood which  was caused by the drains not taking the water fast enough, the manhole covers lifted....... what came in our basement living rooms wasn't just water... I really empathise with anyone affected today.

• oh that's a shame, its not very exciting, just a few strange characters 'mooning, at us, saying thanks, lol,  hope it was ok to post, just a bit of nonsense.

All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.
    Spike Milligan

• Soosin: No idea why pix didn't show - that happens to me on other sites. But not to worry, the sentiment was there.

Barbara: Floods in Switzerland? Isn't everything downhill to Italy (sorry, attack of the sillies).